The Stunters Corner For all those stunters out there.. share your knowledge, talk about it. Those that do not like stunting, please stay away.

whats the diffrence between sliding rear tire and a highside?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 03:45 AM
1st Gear Member
Default whats the diffrence between sliding rear tire and a highside?

I got the general idea of a highside rear tire spins bike gets outa line rear tire regains traction splat. but is there just a fine line to these guys that slide it out on purpose in a corner? I can see it and do it on a dirtbike in the dirt where the traction is looser but ive seen tires just slip a little and highside some1 on pavement.reason im thinking about this is i left a unintentional blackie 2day making a left from a stopsign. just accelerated strongly looking 2 mabe lift a power wheelie outa the turn rear lit up for half a second felt the back slide ever so smoothly( havnt felt that since my dirtbike days) then it was over.No violent jerk when i caught traction i didnt let off the gas so did i just get lucky and ride it out or is there a secret cuz i gotta say i liked it. Dont really ever spin the wheels on my street bike except 4 the ocasional stoped burnout or slow speed crawl so lettin it kick sideways is new ground. see nicky hayden do it all the time but he da man.

Old 05-04-2007, 06:35 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: whats the diffrence between sliding rear tire and a highside?

I am not an expert but sounds like you played it right with not chopping the throttle. When I go into a drift a good throttle control is essential along with balance and body position.

Old 05-04-2007, 02:59 PM
1st Gear Member

ive always been ok at controling the balance when say you lock up the rear and skid to a stop even letting it swing out one way or another when we were kids we would have compititions on who could leave the most s "s on the pavement. when this happened i never felt off balance or outa control luckily instint told my brain not to chop the throttle (prob cuz i didnt FEEL outa control) dont think i gonna try it again on purpose though. but if your moving and it spins in a corner it will just get more and more outa line if you dont let it catch traction rite so wats the secret let off the gas quickly and hope or keep the throttle on and try to go with the slide?? better yet i just slow down in the first place.just good info to know what to do before it happens agian incase i hit a slick spot or something i wanna have a fighting chance to not go down

Old 10-17-2007, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Don't chop the throttle if you're spinning in a corner. Traction control is80% "feel" and 100% "smooth." Think physics and not instinct.Study the dirt-trackers; the only difference is the coefficient of friction on pavement. (And it hurts alot more if you do it wrong...)

Old 10-18-2007, 09:34 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah it would

Old 10-18-2007, 09:43 AM

yeah it did!!!!

Old 10-18-2007, 06:10 PM
1st Gear Member

I think doing it in the dirt purposely for years helps with not "freaking out" when it happens on the street.

Old 10-19-2007, 05:03 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

It is good practice zzrick, but.... hopefully the feel translates to your suspension/tires on the track surface at hand. At least the gist and the feel are there. A controlled drift is always a good feeling.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:36 AM
1st Gear Member

I flat out refuse do to it on a bike. I'll drift the hell out of a car, but that's an entirely different animal.

Old 12-10-2007, 05:13 AM
1st Gear Member

i drifted the **** out of my 600 all the time on purpose, and first learned how to do it and maintain control on some backwoods W.V. gravel roads. i used to go into the wal mart parkinglot in town and go sidways from entrance to exit every day...local yokals gawking and such, never having seen a controlled drift on two wheels before..

its the greatest thing in the world!

and it saved my *** a few times on nasty surfaces where i've lost traction, as well..

when that happened, i'd just countersteer and let off quickly, but smoothly, or yank the clutch. pulling the clutch inis even better in an unexpected slide, since the rear wheel can pick its own speed instead of having the load of the engine and everything else trying to dictate its rotational speed. if you just let off, theres still a load of sorts cuz the clutch is still engaged, and the wheel may be forced to spin slower (at engine idle) than what it'd like to.

learn by doing, bro!! i love the b.f. roads in the mountains tho. no ones around. no popo. and i can practice my sliding and front brake lockup control to keep me safe in wet weather and loose terrain.