Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Rain sucks.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 04:24 PM
Default Rain sucks.

So yesterday was supposed to be the day I pick up my bike. Unfortunately the weather didn't agree with me. The weather man said it was to clear up in the evening (10% chance of rain) so I could pick it up after work, and it did, but just long enough for me to get a ride down to the dealer and get a good look at my new bike. I think I really like my new bike... Then it started raining again.

Everyone at work warned me about the dangers of riding in the rain with shiny new tires, plus I have practically no motorcycle riding experience other than the MSF course, so I figured it best to let her sleep overnight at the dealer. Now my g/f is mad at me for "acting like I wanted to take it home all day, even though the weather was bad". I just don't understand... OF COURSE I _wanted_ to ride it home ASAP, but in the end my better judgement thought it'd be a bad idea, so I didn't take it home... So why is she upset? I don't understand... Shouldn't I be applauded for deciding to NOT take it home in the end?

Either way, forcast for early this evening is sunshine and 70 degrees. Much, much better. Then Friday I'm taking the day off of work to get aquainted with my new baby. It's supposed to be a bit cloudy, but no rain. Sounds good to me! Let's see how many miles I can put on her in the first day...

Soon... Soon...

Old 06-23-2005, 04:31 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Rain sucks.

Hang in there. Rain in the beginning means a long fun relationship with the bike

Old 06-23-2005, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator

I'll applaud you for waiting. I would have - to be honest I haven't ridden my bike in the rain yet. You would think that I would be comfortable with that since the entire time I was taking the MSF course - it rained.

I bet you are like a kid in a candy store today!

Old 06-23-2005, 06:27 PM

Well, thank you!

Yes, it's quite difficult for me to concentrate on anything remotely work-related (or should I say non-motorcycle related)... If I had another ride to the dealer I'd probably leave the office early and go pick it up now, but alas, I have to wait till after work. I seriously considered taking the bus to the dealer, but I couldn't bring myself to wear my full gear on the bus

It rained about 4 hours during the two riding days of my MSF course. Also happened to be the time when we were doing a lot of the cornering work. It felt pretty comfortable, but of course there was no oil on the ground, and the tires were well worn in.

tick tock, tick tock...

Old 06-25-2005, 06:54 AM
1st Gear Member

I think it was a good idea to wait. Riding in the rain is not really a big deal, but not having any riding experience can make it one. You are right about the new shiny tires. They can be real slick when wet.

If you plan on riding all or most of the time, you will get caught in the rain. It's inevitable. Get yourself a good rain suit and carry it with you. I don't know what bike you have, but there is some room under the seat. I keep mine under the seat of my ZRX. I have plenty of room.

Old 06-26-2005, 06:20 AM

great stuff, way to have the dicipline to leave that bike there till it was safe for you to take it home!! I rode after a rainfall after it dried out some. Even though the roads were still damp, I was very cautious going back home.