Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

My first scare while riding

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 07:28 PM
Default RE: My first scare while riding

I've got a lot more time in cars then on bikes, and I learned to modulate the brake pedal when it started to slide, so I bring that onto the bike...if the rear starts to lock, I ease off the pedal, but I figure if I gotta stop that fast I'll use all I got! The rear may not add much braking power, but it stops me two feet sooner, that can mean the difference between going home on the bike, or having to go to the hospital. Plus I think I'm more afraid of going over the top than I am of the back end sliding...you may have seen my post on 'funny story' where a guy went over the top doing his license ride at low speed....

Old 09-12-2005, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator

I did something similar to that myself - grabbed a handful of the front brake so that I didn't 'run over' the course instructor and the bike hit the pavement so fast - I didn't though - I jumped off of it. But I did manage to snap off the clutch lever

When I look back at the whole incident - it is hilarious (you had to be there!) but at the time it scared the crap out of me. I was about ready to leave the course, glad that I didn't and I learned a lesson to have a certain level of respect for my front brake.

Old 09-12-2005, 07:45 PM

it's always funny...afterwards, and as long as no one got hurt. Sure makes the heart rate jump at the time, though!!

Old 09-13-2005, 04:27 AM
1st Gear Member

Sounds to me you did everything right. Using both brakes is and not downshifting is the way to go. Don't know if you have taken the Experienced Rider Course, but that is exactly what they teach you to do in a panic stop. Now that you know you can do it when you have to, go to a parking lot a practice it for when it, and it will, happen again. The one thing I would do different is you need to look
for a way out, not at the truck in front of you. Need to find a place to go. Other than that, good job.

Old 09-13-2005, 09:24 PM

it's good to hear you didnt do the unthinkable. i must say tho, i dont have much experience on the street, but on gravel i have been riding since i could balance. i would say that both brakes is the way to go and USE your downshifting. i know that most say you dont have time to think but thats where the practice comes into play. the more practice you get the more you will have as insticts rather then thought... if you know you gotta stop and you have been in the situation a dozen times before, it becomes natural and you dont have to think, you just do it. that's jmo tho, whatever works for you....

Old 09-16-2005, 04:37 AM

crashes are bad news but what that was is a learning expirence take it for what its worth. way to keep it up and keep on ridding

Old 09-16-2005, 10:31 PM

Man VV thank goodness you are ok! i know that sensation too when 1 minute all is cool and the next your looking at some wide eyed action in front of you. I use both brakes 100% of the time. I hear different advice from everyone, i just do what the class taught me to do and hope I come out on top. (on top of my seat, not the ground)