Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

My first scare while riding

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2005, 03:45 PM
Default My first scare while riding

Well almost six months to the day since I bought my bike, I almost went down . . . Could have been a combination of me going a little bit too fast, following just a little closer than I normally do, and the tires still being cold since it dipped into the low 50's here last night.

I was on my way to work from the new house, getting on the interstate. The entrance ramps are both on the right side, one entrance, the bridge and then the second entrance going the opposite way. Now I expect a bit of a traffic backup in the right lane since one group of cars slows for the first entrance, and then you'll have a bunch slowing for the 2nd one, but since I get on at the first entrance, I was probably only two car lengths behind a big Dodge truck (Bubba I call them, if you remember the truck I was driving a few months ago).

Well, I saw him slowing down, and dropped from 3rd to 2nd, and was cruising along about 25-30mph. No big deal till I saw him jerk the truck to the left and lurch as he slammed on his brakes!! I hit the brakes, and I realize now I didn't manage to downshift to first until after the worst was over (Panic, I guess. I figured I needed to focus on the brakes). The bike started sliding, left, then right, then left again, almost tipping over. I must have hit the rear brake a little too hard when I saw the truck jerking, and locked up the rear tire.

All in all, I realize that I still have a lot to learn about riding, but I also know riders who've been at it longer than me, that wouldn't have managed to hold up the bike either. But at barely 115lbs now, managing to keep that 470lb beast on the rubber; I'm proud of myself.

Okie, I know not the big crash you wanted to hear about right?? But I do know now those itty bitty brakes really will stop you, if you use them right!! Going to check my tire and kiss my gas tank, haha.

Old 09-09-2005, 05:46 PM
Default RE: My first scare while riding

First off, we DON'T want to read about 'that big crash' where you're concerned. Congrats on keeping the bike sunny-side-up in the heat of the moment, I well know how hard that is!!

Old 09-09-2005, 06:37 PM
1st Gear Member

No kidding - crashes do not = cool, no matter what.

As far as rear braking/emergency stopping/downshifting...

Here is what I would teach new(er) riders when selling bikes and taking people out the first few times:

Ignore the rear brake. You don't have one. The ONLY time it is there is when you need to hold the bike at an intersection or stop and your hands are off the bars, otherwise forget it even exists. That stupid little pedal will get you into more trouble than anything else about the bike, simply because you can not feel it when it locks... I did it as a newb rider once at about 50mph... scared the daylights out of me when the rear started to swing right - thought for sure I was going to high-side it when it caught again.

Two fingers draped over the front brake at all times. ALWAYS. Adjust the lever position if need be. Practice emergency/quick stops and include down-shifting in your routine. Seriously. Even just under normal braking - downshift as you brake. Under emergency stop situations I always downshift first to get the weight transfer started, and then clamp down on the fronts. If you make it part of your normal braking routine, then it will be that much quicker and more effective when you really need to put it into action. Go to a parking lot and practice your emergency braking... do it over and over to the point it is automagic.

Good luck, and gratz on saving the bike. Be careful out there... lots of ******** and idiots on the road.

Old 09-09-2005, 06:48 PM

I'm of the complete other school of thinking. ALWAYS use both brakes. If you do it everytime, the chances of locking up in a panic are slim. And no matter how much you practice, you'll never know how you'll react till that panic and fear are real. I'm also of the thinking, if I'm not trying to stop, keep your fingers OFF the lever.

Different riding styles work for different people. If I tried to change what I'd learned to this point, I'd likely crash trying to get used to the new way, lol, but thanks for the suggestions.

Old 09-09-2005, 06:57 PM

I agree with part of what each of you are saying (different strokes/different folks) - always use both brakes, you'll stop quicker, but yes, care must be used. In a panic stop, slide back on the seat to a) keep the rear wheel from lifting, and b) keep more weight on the back tire to prevent locking up as easily (front's getting plenty of weight already). A slight slide of the back tire is still better than crashing into the guy in front, and it's relatively easy to control with practice. I've hit oil patches with a back tire under braking and I know the pucker factor of a sudden slide, but it's still better than not having all the braking force available when you really need it. I also ride with 2 fingers over the front brake. If the lever is adjusted right, it's comfortable, and easily becomes second nature, and you don't need your whole hand to hold the throttle anyway. Even a small delay in reaction times can make all the difference. I read somewhere that it's a good idea to do 'panic' stops regularly, even in regular-stop situations, (as long as no one is behind you!!!!!) just to keep comfortable with them, and familiar with the dynamics of the bike under those conditions.

Old 09-09-2005, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator

hey double V, i'm glad to hear that you made it through ok. we all learn from our mistakes. thats what make us better riders..... except for the ones who don't learn from they mistakes. but like i said, i'm glad your fine and the bike is ok. take care and ride safe.

Old 09-10-2005, 11:48 AM

Glad your OK. Panic stops do get the blood flowing. I like using both brakes.

Old 09-11-2005, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator

Hey good job on saving it and not going down. You also did right buy not down shifting, there was no time to do that. When you need to stop in a hurry its all brakes no engine braking.

We never want to read about the big one either. Ride safe and keep looking out.

I agree 100% with sorbak, you do not even need a rear brake and the 2 finger method is me always. If you lock up your rear and are sliding a little when you get off the brake and the rear gains traction it can high side you right off the bike.

I intentionally let air into my rear brake on my track bike to reduce its ability to lock up.

Old 09-11-2005, 08:33 AM

i have to agree i rarely use the back brake at all unless at a stop with a slope

Old 09-12-2005, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator

Glad to hear that you hung on to it V!

Definately practice emergency braking, I have a few times and it gives me some peace of mind that at least have an idea of how the bike is going to handle (I am fully aware that it will not always handle the same way depending on the situation and circumstances!)

In the safety course, I was taught not to cover the front brake and to use both brakes when braking quickly. Basically they taught us to bring everything in (clutch lever, front brake lever) and everything down (down shift and rear brake). Seems to work for me

Quick Reply: My first scare while riding