Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Moved in but still unpacking

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 03:54 AM
Default Moved in but still unpacking

and I'm positive, without any doubt, that buying this house is the biggest mistake I've made in my entire life. I actually spoke with my mortgage and real estate agents last week to see if I could sell the house before I moved in. The place is a disaster and the mortgage is considerably higher than my former rent. I can't sell the bike to improve my financial situation because I owe more than it is worth and I'd still be paying the monthly payment.

My car is currently broken (don't ask, let's just say my dad is so mad at me, he drove home in the middle of helping me move and refuses to speak to me). I have no grounded outlets in the house, so I'm having to use an adapter EVERYTIME I plug something in. I ran out of those already, and was figuring out today, I probably invested $5 in adapters, when they could have fed me for at least two weeks (pb&j). My dog, Dainese, has more food than I do right now, but only because my boss and his wife bought him two bags of dog food when they puppy-sat for me last weekend.

I don't even know why I'm typing this out. I guess I just needed to vent. So anyway, I'm looking to sell the house as soon as possible (well without absolutely losing my *** in the deal), looking for a 2nd job (but I've been applying since January without a bite), and I'll likely be looking for a home for Dainese (he's better off with someone who can afford to feed him).

Old 09-06-2005, 05:14 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Moved in but still unpacking

Sorry to here your feeling down VV. You know better than us on your situation but over the years I have been able to move up and at times thought there was no way I could afford this and always have. A home is a investment and usually gains in value and if you can stick it out you will make some money in the end.
Hang in there and I hope the best for you.

Old 09-06-2005, 06:58 AM
1st Gear Member

I hope this doesn't come across as being in-sensitive... I am just trying to understand...

Why did you buy the place to begin with if it was such a disaster?

Old 09-06-2005, 04:09 PM

Well I had planned to have a bit of free cash to fix a few things. I have a contractor who was/is willing to do all the work for the COST of materials. Unfortunately, after buying a refrigerator for the place, and my insurance company sending my bill to the wrong address so I forgot I had bike insurance due this month, I'm beyond wiped out.

I had $100 for groceries, dog food, clothes, emergencies, etc this month, but when my dad left, I had to rent a truck to finish moving my stuff to the house. There went money for all that stuff this month. There's only 24 days left in the month. I know I can eat PB&J for at least ten of those. After that I'm out of bread. I have lots of pickles for some reason. I think I had coupons and they ended up like 20 cents a jar, so it's not like I'll starve. I'll just have some really odd breakfasts and lunches, lol.

I don't know anyone in this city, so a roommate is all but out of the question. I just feel that taking in a stranger could leave me worse off; (they may skip rent or stick me with higher utility bills). I've already decided that the pool is just going to stay green until I can afford the chemicals to close it for winter. I spent 2 hours vacuuming the damn thing, put algaecide in it, and it's still green. I give up. I got to swim in that stupid money pit ONCE!!!!!

So, I just need to stay long enough to justify a raise in price on the house. I'll have to finish the 2nd bathroom before I can move, and likely have some wiring done (to fix the grounded outlet/no outlet in either bathroom problem). Do we have any tax professionals here?? My bank says I can sell now. My Real Estate Agent says I need to wait a minimum of six months. But how long do I have to stay in that house to not lose my tail in the deal?? I keep hearing two years, which would mean October 1, 2007, since that's my first mortgage payment.

The sad part is, I could rent the place for more than double what the mortgage is, but I'd still have to care for the pool, or higher a full-time poolboy to do it.

Old 09-06-2005, 05:44 PM
1st Gear Member

I feel a kawasakiforums.com fundraiser coming on. Anyone else? At least get her enough money to eat PB&J for the whole month? heheh... VV - we need an address... or do you have paypal?

Pool> If it is green, don't waste your time sucking it up and runing chemicals through it - especially in high doses... it will just eat up your pump and seals that much faster. Unless you are in the sunbelt - you are nearing the end of the season anyhow - so you might as well drain it. The only way to really clean a pool that has gone to the green side is to drian it, bleach it and scrub it. Had the same situation with both my pool and a friends'. If you are nearing the end of your season, at least drain it and worry about cleaning it at the end of the month. Don't leave the water in it as it will result in an interesting biology experiment. Drain it, scrub it, buy bleach at the end of the month and scrub it again. Rinse it down and drain your rinsing. Make sure you wear rubber rain boots or fishing waders.

Old 09-06-2005, 06:29 PM

First, I don't have paypal, but thanks.

Second, the pool is a whole other problem. I can't drain it or it will crack. I mean, I know I can drain it below the skimmer and turn the filter off, but I don't have the chemicals, nor the money for the chemicals (or any idea which ones I need to buy) to winterize it and cover it. I guess I should make some calls and find out how much it's going to cost me to close the pool for the winter. Then it's time to make a call and see about ordering oil for this winter. My dad said I have 10.5 inches of oil; I forget how many gallons that is.

I've already dropped cable tv, and any extra expenditures like going out to eat, or coffee creamer. I just snag a handful from the gas station and keep them in my fridge. I drink coffee at work, so I don't have to pay for it either. We get water delivered here, so I try to drink as much during the day and then take home a full bottle at night.

I actually cheated and washed my car at the apts I just left. Hey, I waited for ten months for them to build that car care center, dammit!! They have to catch me doing it to kick me out, and technically, up until yesterday I was still a resident, lol. No more bath's for the car for a while.

I put in six more applications here for a part-time job. With six colleges of students to compete with for p/t work, it's not promising. They get out of class at 3pm and can work till 10. I don't get off work here until 5pm, so I can understand why the students get the jobs instead of me. Even though we just got a new Wal-Mart (that's what? 100-250 jobs?) I never even got an interview with them and I was willing to work EVERY night after work, except one, plus Saturday and Sunday. I wanted one evening to myself to see my puppy.

I'd sell the bike, but I can't pay off the loan with what I'd get for it. And insurance on it is due in two weeks. [&o]Insurance company sent my notice to the wrong address so I didn't even realize I had to come up with that money this month.

Old 09-06-2005, 07:54 PM
1st Gear Member

How thin is your pool? I have never had to winterize it that way... I drain it every year in Chicago winters.

Do not sell your bike. You will regret it.

As far as other work... college kids are tough to fight, that's for sure. Keep trying though... check for things like night time security, switchboard, stocking at grocery stores, etc...

Then there is always the bit in your avatar... Hey - it could work out. :P j/k

Good luck, and like I mentioned - I am sure people here would be willing to help... making sure you can eat at the very least is important.

Old 09-06-2005, 08:00 PM

Actually, the exact reason my avatar is a stripper is because I was auditioning at clubs when I met my ex. He wasn't secure enough to handle it, so I quit (auditioning). The only club I was really interested in is 100 miles away, and gas is too high to justify it now. The clubs here are pretty well ALL dirty, mixed with drugs. If I'm gonna do it, I want a clean club. I have offered to do some private parties here and there, but none scheduled yet. I took on one or two modeling jobs, but I need something a little more dependable.

IDK the details on the pool. It's vinyl is all I know, but I was told NOT to drain the pool, that I have to leave at least half the water in there and treat it first. Then I need to buy a "tension bar" and find a friend to help me get the cover on. The stupid thing is, two weeks ago, it was crystal clear. Now it's green, but only on the bottom!!!! Ewww, stupid damn pool.

Old 09-07-2005, 05:11 PM

VV - you've obviously got moral support on here, and most of us have been in some version of your position at some time in our lives. Hang in there, and vent all you need!! Don't be afraid to ask for whatever help you need...

Old 09-07-2005, 06:53 PM

hey VV, don't worry girl.. for every dark trail there is a brighter one ahead... Keep your head on straight, your hopes up and everything will be alright at the end.

Quick Reply: Moved in but still unpacking