Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Honda F4i.. any good as a starter bike?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 04:00 AM
Default Honda F4i.. any good as a starter bike?

I've found a few of them around here, compared to the 0 kawi 250's. I've heard they're not THAT powerful for a 600, how are they for a complete noob (have never ridden before). What can I say I like hondas, I'm a ricer at heart.

Old 11-08-2005, 04:57 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Honda F4i.. any good as a starter bike?

Ok - not sure why we are talking CBRs in a Kawi forum - but here goes...

Dated experience: 92-94

F2 was considerably lighter than the zx6, consequently quicker even though it had less power. I rode one after both my 6 and 7 (92 and 93 respectively) and it felt un-safe. I guess I just liked the weight of the Kawis. Light = nimble, and I am sure in the right hands you could fling it around like it was nothing - but for me it didn't feel confident or planted on the ground. Again - this was 10+ years ago, and I have no idea how these two bikes size upt today.

Old 11-08-2005, 07:40 AM

Well I know a lot of people here ride/have ridden bikes other than kawi's and I would trust you guys over other forums I belong to (although I did ask on those also).

Old 11-08-2005, 03:18 PM
1st Gear Member

the f4i is a good bike to start out on. Actualy any 600 is ok to start out on but you'll have to watch out for the power. A 250 is really good if you've never riden before and want to learn on but you'll get board of it really fast. 500 cc bikes are super good to learn on good power nice handeling. Me pesonaly I would start out on a 600cc bike. What ever bike you get and start on just keep it rubber side down.

Old 11-08-2005, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator

think a 600 is a good bike to start out with. a suzuki katana would be a great bike for you. it's a 600 with good power and alot more forgiving then the "R" type 600.... F4I is good if you want more responce on the bike.... but for your first bike, don't step into an "R" or "RR" bike... bad things could happen... get the experiance down first before you move on to something more powerful.... learn the basics and learn it well... learn how to avoid things..... and most of all learn how to control the bike.... it could save you alot of headache..... gear up and ride safe...

Old 11-09-2005, 07:00 AM

Well that's what I want the most.. flickability.. anyone can hit those straights, but I want to try out those lovely curves (especially this one road in my town.. beautiful curves.. lol), which is why I was looking at the 250 in the first place, but I'm having trouble getting over the 80's styling, and I don't like the half-nude 500. So now I'm looking at the Suzuki GS500F and the CBR600F3 or F4/i.. but I'm looking for as much feedback as possible. Right now I'm watching a CBR on ebay with a buy it now at 2900 (which seems low, I must say, for an F3). The Suzuki seems a bit rare, but I've heard good things. CBRs seem to be in abundance around here, I found 4 of them within 75 miles.

Old 11-09-2005, 07:17 AM
Super Moderator

well no matter which bike you end up getting, and before you go ***** out on it.... make sure you learn how to control the bike first.... any fool can go around curses... but doing right and doing smart is the differance between a rider and a squid..... gear up and ride safe....

Old 11-09-2005, 07:22 AM

Oh hey no problem with that.. I have a healthy fear of what these things can do.. the first few weeks will be parking lots, back roads, and speed limits. Also gonna start with modding up my visibility.. brighter headlights/tails, maybe some neons as ricey as they are.

Old 11-09-2005, 09:42 AM
1st Gear Member

You may also want to check out a suzuki SV650 S sweet looking with the full fairing package and much more forgiving than a race replica 600.

Old 11-09-2005, 04:48 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MAD KAW

think a 600 is a good bike to start out with. a suzuki katana would be a great bike for you. <...> learn the basics and learn it well...
Isn't this a contradiction?

I like a lot of Suzukis, but not the Katana. I'd rather put him on an ex500 if he were considering a 'tana.

Quick Reply: Honda F4i.. any good as a starter bike?