Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Gas Price's.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Gas Price's.....

I can't believe we all sound so happy about 2+ a gallon for gas. The oil companies are just loving it.

Old 11-23-2005, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Scrtsvc

Ha.... Edinburg, Tx, The Flying J truck stop.................(drum role)...............$1.76!!!!!!!! I love texas...we supply over 1/4 of the u.s.'s oil anyway so we should get it cheap!!!!!!!!
You're lucky! One of the big gas companies up here, has a freakin' refinery right here and we usually pay more than the rest of the province - it's ridiculous!!!

Old 11-23-2005, 08:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Well if the president came from your neck of the woods bluebird I'm sure your gas would be a little cheaper. Or if say um 85% of your population carried concealed weapons and there was a fear of immediate reprisal for high gas prices, you know armed uprising and all that....

"Fool me once...shame on you...Fool me twice....and we can't get fooled again" (uh, what?)

Old 11-23-2005, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: technophile

Well if the president came from your neck of the woods bluebird I'm sure your gas would be a little cheaper. Or if say um 85% of your population carried concealed weapons and there was a fear of immediate reprisal for high gas prices, you know armed uprising and all that....

"Fool me once...shame on you...Fool me twice....and we can't get fooled again" (uh, what?)
True! Very true! I'm glad its not like that here.

Old 11-28-2005, 09:05 AM

ORIGINAL: Notstock

ORIGINAL: technophile

SoCal (San Diego) is 2.40-2.60 depeding on which side of the street you are on. Much better than the 2.95-3.15 of a couple of weeks ago, but still not cheap enough.
Pretty much the same here in the L.A. area.

It is still bs, the oil companies should be regulated some how. Making a fair profit is no problem it is the American way but screwing the entire nation not to mention the world is bs.

I would buy a nuke powered car in a second. Give a big f-you to the oil companies. That will never happen, alterative fuel, the oil companies would never allow it.

I could rant about this for days, but I will spare you all.
Well, allow me to dispense my thoughts on how energy crises will be handled. Under the very true principle stated in the above-mentioned quote, energy use/gasoline consumption/refining/whatever Million uses of oil we have will be replaced with an alternative fuel when, and ONLY when crude oil wells have been depleted. The new energy source will most likely have been made and sold by a name such as, chevron, or BP etc. and will be kept in a supply just short enough to drive the price to the sweet spot where at least middle-dom America can pay for it and their profit shares see a steady incline. Furthermore, I have a hunch, that the companies ALREADY know what the next fuel will be and are just waiting for us all to waste crude away.

To exemplify this I read about something fascinating known as transesterification, which basically is a way of making a diesel fuel from kitchen grease. I had a science fair project due Senior Year of High School so I decided to perform the experiment and owning an expendable diesel engine, try the stuff out. To make a long story short, the wandering secondary judge who represented Shell Oil made a weak attempt to appear uninterested. I actually asked why this hasn't been done and was given a load of it regarding how it would cost more to produce than could be sold for (since the price of diesel was already at a swelterin $3.08 here - Feb 2005) and they would have no storage device. I kneew this a load of it and just shrugged him off. The truth of this stuff is, it has just a slightly smaller power rating than the crude based fuel (19,000 BTU to 21,000 BTU) but is completely clean during the refining process and its emissions consist mostly of the most beautiful reaction ever, H2O and CO2 + the unavoidable monoxides from incomplete combustion. Unfortunately, gasoline engines are out of luck from this type of fuel since it is nowhere near volatile enough to be run in a ags engine, but I have no doubt there are other possibiltites.

To sum this ranting up, yes, the Oil companies are controlling everything, as should be expected from a capitalist system. (Worse than that they are regressing back to the one company monopoly and will eventually rename themselves Standard Oil Company with a Rockefeller as CEO) And we can either just wait for the next, almost efficient, unreasonably priced fuel, or just stop burning it for..a day or two, and see what happens. But that is a rant I won't get into either. lol

Old 11-28-2005, 03:19 PM

ORIGINAL: Notstock

I can't believe we all sound so happy about 2+ a gallon for gas. The oil companies are just loving it.
Oil companys raised the crap outta the price of fuel to make
a **** load of money just to lower the price to make us all
feel better and they still profit well from it.......[>:]

Old 11-28-2005, 11:26 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

hopfully these dropping trends will continue, but i wont hold my breath

Old 11-29-2005, 03:29 PM

Heck I'm thinking of supporting global warming so the temps
can stay warm enough to ride the scooter year round.....

ZZR1200 --- 45 mile's to the gallon

Dodge Ramcharger 4x4 6.5 miles to the gallon

I think you to would support global warming......

Old 11-29-2005, 07:04 PM
1st Gear Member

He does have a point...

But - after the last couple winters - and especially the summer of 2004 - I am 100% convinced that Global Warming is a load of manuer. Summer 04 SUCKED in Chicagoland... every single weekend was rainy or too cold for offshore boating. It was the coldest summer on record for Chicago in over 10 years. The winter was pretty biting too... even though there wasn't a lot of snow.

Old 11-29-2005, 08:14 PM

Global warmings effects are extremely hot temps near the equator
and also extremely cold temp in the norther regions.. The whole thing
is pretty screwed up.. Look up the effects of global warming..."crazy"[sm=jawdrop.gif]

Quick Reply: Gas Price's.....