Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: A poll
All the time
8.33%
Most of the time
8.33%
Only on long rides
33.33%
Never
50.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Do you wear ear plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 12:59 AM
Default Do you wear ear plugs?

I haven't worn any riding yet... But I'm also new to riding and have been trying to be good breaking in my bike (950miles already!!! Almost there!), so I haven't been doing much high-speed freeway driving for any decent lengths, or running into the high revs. I have noticed quite a bit of wind noise at freeway speeds unless I'm tucked way in (I'm 6'2), so I'm thinking about plugs.

So, which of you wear ear plugs? And do you notice a difference?

-g

Old 07-23-2005, 01:02 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Do you wear ear plugs?

on long ride I do.. it great for wind noise but the exhaust noise is still there...

Old 07-23-2005, 01:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Yes the exhaust noise is still there, but it's a lot quieter. I will not ride without them. Wind noise can cause more fatigue than anything when you ride. I can still hear the horns and sirens.

I use a set of $3.00 earplugs from the power tool section of Lowe's or Home Depot. When I listen to music, I have a set of Challenger custom made earphones. They are molded to fit my ears.

Once you ride with earplugs, you will never ride without them.

Old 07-23-2005, 03:33 AM

I just started riding with them a week ago, and I've been using them mostly for the long trips to work. When I'm riding in town, I think I want to hear everything that is going on around me.....don't forget I'm in Las Vegas.....but I like not being distracted when wearing them on long trips. I've been looking into getting custom fitted ones but don't know if I like the price [:'(]

Old 07-23-2005, 04:41 AM
Super Moderator

i also use ear plugs for long trips. i got the cheep ones too. they do a pretty good job. but i would like to know how i could get the molded ones. and how much they are. and where do you get the one with built in head phones. thats pretty cool.

Old 07-26-2005, 03:59 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

I was looking into getting a cheep set of fome plugs to wear all the time but I have been to lazy to go to the stor and get some...

anyway riding with headhpones is not only illeagle.. IMO not to smart.. now think that your jaming out to your fav. tunes is OK.. I don't know about most of you but sometimes when driveing in my trcuk with the radio up and jamin out I find myself going faster than normal and not paying as much attention.. I don't wanna try it on a bike

Old 07-26-2005, 06:48 AM

The ones I use, you can find them anywhere. Foam, with a cord connecting the two of them. That way I'll never loose them...I also have some that I get from the Military, they are ribbed rubber pieces. They stick out of my ear more then the foam ones, and I don't feel like cutting them down to fit in my helmet.

Old 07-26-2005, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: onewheel

I was looking into getting a cheep set of fome plugs to wear all the time but I have been to lazy to go to the stor and get some...

anyway riding with headhpones is not only illeagle.. IMO not to smart.. now think that your jaming out to your fav. tunes is OK.. I don't know about most of you but sometimes when driveing in my trcuk with the radio up and jamin out I find myself going faster than normal and not paying as much attention.. I don't wanna try it on a bike
I'm the same way! I wouldn't want to try it on a bike either! I agree with you fully on this one Ian.

Old 07-26-2005, 06:57 PM

I just got a great helmet that keeps the wind out. Can't hear anything but my bike and the traffic. I wouldn't ride with plugs B/C you really need to hear what is surrounding you. Sounds a little dangerous to me. If you are having wind problems look into the KBC (which is what I have) or Icon helmets, they are great.

Old 07-26-2005, 08:11 PM

I got a great deal on an Arai... It's supposedly one of the more quiet helmets out there. It's just been so hot out lately that I'm riding w/all the vents open, so it's a little noisy. Of course it doesn't help that I'm 6'2" and my head is usually sticking way up out of the small bubble my windscreen makes. Maybe it's time to break down and buy that Zero-Gravity Double-Bubble...

Quick Reply: Do you wear ear plugs?