Tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 06:28 PM
Default RE: Tires

alright, the breaking question, after i get an answer to this im clicking the buy button....... d220s or qualifiers? i have a friend that is seriously pushin qualifiers but i figured id stick with ppl that kno what their talkin about [8D]

Old 06-20-2007, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Let's go back to the first questions: How do you ride, what kind of mileage do you want/how often do you want to buy tires,are you a "sunny day only"guy or do you ride/commute pretty much year 'round, any track days, primarily straight line or twisties, heavy bike [>375#] versus lighter/newer [<375#], etc.

They are both excellent tires. Pick one.

Old 06-20-2007, 06:54 PM

was just curious, no one really commented on the qualifier when i brought it up. wasnt sure if there was a reason or if ppl just didnt see that part.

Old 06-21-2007, 02:42 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I run the 120/70 and 190/50 Qualifiers on my street ride. Kept them at 32psi-34psi. for street useage. I do not really push on the streets, maybe up to 80% tops. I enjoy my corners. However, after a 12hr ride to seattle and a 7hr ride to vegas almost back to back, a flat spot is in the middle of the tire. 4500+ miles. Do I like the Q? yes, Were they cheap for the street? yes again, $238 shipped. Can I still hit 175mph + and feel comfy? again yes. I set my suspension and yes, the qualifiers seem to be a good choice as well.

edit: lest ya forget, my street ride is the 06 10r for now.

Old 06-21-2007, 07:29 PM

where did you get em for 238 shipped?

Old 06-21-2007, 08:38 PM
1st Gear Member

if you do more tour-type riding and lots of highway and not so much hard-pounding twisties - 220's... if you are a borderline track rider when on the street however, i would say qualifiers... maybe a mix of the 2 - a 220 on the back and a q on th efront. I am actually considering to do this as my front is starting to get there.

btw - the PPs mentioned earlier in the thread are on recall.

Old 06-24-2007, 01:40 AM
1st Gear Member

ive got a 180 on the back but comes stock with a 190 qualifiers, came that way last year when i got it they were new tires and they do get a flat spot in the rear anyway bout 4500mi but all my sport tires do on any bike. im not fast enough to be considered a racer but i love to lean it over on these backwood roads and i like the grip and security of sport tires but you gotta be willin to spend 400 bucks or so every year or so. Question though when i repace em SOON i wana put the 190 thats supposed to be on em are you sayin that will make my turning slower?? my front end feels kinda weird when im pushin it in corners kinda like its turning or leaning more than the back and i was hopin goin to stock size 190 would solve it. this bike is kinda new to me last year and i dont know if its the tire size in the back, that particular kinda front tire or just the way my bike feels. only gets schetchy at at decent lean angles but not great for confidence. the qualifiers do provide good grip though at least in the dry

Old 06-24-2007, 01:57 AM
1st Gear Member

Sorry to double post and even worse probabley off topic but could that front end feeling i get have antthing to do with the fact i had the shop tighten down the rear spring a little to compensate for exceeding the weight limit when both the wife and i are on it by bout 50 pounds(contributing factor to the flat spot on the rear) she not on it that much and i dont push hard enough to notice when she is.only did it so i would not bottom out over bumps 2 up thanks for any help

Old 06-24-2007, 02:05 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Donvier

where did you get em for 238 shipped?
Got my non oem's through these guys. Ask for Chris. http://www.flatoutmotorcycles.com/

Old 06-24-2007, 02:09 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: xyz1000rr

Sorry to double post and even worse probabley off topic but could that front end feeling i get have antthing to do with the fact i had the shop tighten down the rear spring a little to compensate for exceeding the weight limit when both the wife and i are on it by bout 50 pounds(contributing factor to the flat spot on the rear) she not on it that much and i dont push hard enough to notice when she is.only did it so i would not bottom out over bumps 2 up thanks for any help
Of course it will affect things. A good setup with your suspension and tires for one person only is one thing. Then you play two up? adding on the light side of say 130lbs on the most rear position there is on the ride? The two really do not mix well unless you like playing with your suspension all of the time. Changing springs, positions, fluid wts, etc.

Quick Reply: Tires