looking to drop teeth

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 09:39 PM
Default looking to drop teeth

Ok since the white **** has started to fly around here it's time to do some work on the bike.
I'm look to increase acceleration and would like to keep my mids. I know by dropping teeth in the front I'm gonna get my acceleration but will loose my high end. What do I need to do to keep my mids and gain the low end?
How many teeth in the front and in the rear or do I need to mess with the rear sprocket?
Also I woul like to stay with the factory chain if possible.
Can I just drop 1 tooth in the front and still be fine with running the factory chain?
Thanks
Bud

Old 07-29-2010, 12:55 PM

Did you ever come up with a combination on front and back that you liked?

Old 08-14-2010, 12:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Budwsr
I'm look to increase acceleration and would like to keep my mids. I know by dropping teeth in the front I'm gonna get my acceleration but will loose my high end. What do I need to do to keep my mids and gain the low end?
How many teeth in the front and in the rear or do I need to mess with the rear sprocket?
Bud
Bud, you can't have your cake and eat it, too. There is a term "Gear-inches" which describes how many inches the wheel travels across the ground per revolution of the engine. Your transmission gear selection plays a role, of course....the number of inches you travel per rpm when in first gear is less than the number of inchese you travel when you're in second, which is less than the number of inches you travel when in third, etc.

When you change the number of teeth on the front or rear sprocket, you change the Gear-Inch of that part of the drive train. By adding teeth on the rear, OR, by subtracting teeth on the front, you end up with a lower Gear-inch. This lower gear-inch is similar for each transmission gear you select. Let's say your selection of teeth in the front and rear decreased this part of the equation's gear-inch by 10%. Well, 1st gear is now 10% lower in it's total gear-inch, 2nd is 10% lower total gear-inch, etc.

So, you CANNOT keep your top end speed while increasing your pulling power in the low gears by changing your front or rear sprocket tooth number. The only way you could maintain your top end speed while increasing pulling power in the low gears is to change your transmission gearing. That's a BIG order, and may be nearly impossible, depending upon what transmission gears may fit inside this engine.