Noob question on LED's with a 96 zx7r

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 12:04 PM
Default Noob question on LED's with a 96 zx7r

Okay I've searched the forums here and at several other spots and i'm about go crazy. Just bought a used 96 zx7r, and one of the turn signals was missing. So i figured i'd replace both of them with leds. and thus has begun the frustrations. The previous owner took offf all the lights and licencse bracket and light as well. I have no manual or chiltons so i can't really see eactly how they should be wired other than how they were done with the original lights/

1)connected them out the box and both light up very dimly - neither blink when move the switch on the handle bars, however they will both start simutaneously blinking as soon as a I rev the engine, and selecting left or right does nothing.

2)Connected the orginals back up and they work fine

I tried using resitors but i'm not the brightest electical person when it comes to things other than computers, dj equipment and maybe installing a car stereo. Anyway the resitor that everyones mentions jsut look like a piece of cermaic with paperclips sticking out of them. So i really don't know how they need to be connected to lights/leads.

I tried an electrical relay 92 prong, but couldn't really figure out it replaces the stock relay since it just has 2 wires plugged into ti from the lights then it kinda gets lost in the stock wiring.

Anyway i jsut finished created what i am now calling the octapus relay, sicne everyone says to use a 2 wires but don't really explain how to connect it with 2 lights with a total of for leads that somehoe connect to the stock wiring at that. wondering if i need 2 relays.

So bottom line has anyone gotten these to work on the rear light of a 96zx7r, all the other post i've read ar from zx6's zx9's and afor the msot part all other models except for mine, with the exception of a guy who did all 4 of his and the reply to his post was "you got your wiring crossed up"

any help would be appreciated

thanks in adavance