noisey engine?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 05:30 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: noisey engine?

Thank you Ted! Much appreciated as always!!

i'll get some pics from my torn-apart 600 and do a classic "hendrix's how-to" style writeup soon i hope.. i'm movin the shop to another location, and once i'm settled in, i'll have more room and more time to do the right thing..

i'm hoping i didn't lose those i did on KMF.. they better get back up!! i didn't save any of those [&o]

oh well. they came from memory.. i can remember them again!!

Old 02-02-2008, 07:00 PM

Thanks alot for great info
and yes I'm sure I owe you some warm mocassin slippers with ice cleats on the bottom lol sorry.. we dont get much ice here.. just decent riding weather (now)

I'm wanting to know where I can get engine rebuild parts?
rod bearings, buckets, valve seals, piston rings, valve springs (etc.. whatever I should replace)
Or where can I get a new engine already built?
I'd prefer to rebuild it myself so I can replace parts with better parts (if thats possible)

thanks alot and stay warm!
dont let me catch you on the ice with no shoes on again!

Old 02-02-2008, 10:46 PM
1st Gear Member

LOL!

must be nice to have cooperative weather... and shoes.

for the valve thing, all you'll really need is the shims. ya cant do much about the bucket and cam lobe wear.. when you lift the buckets out, they're gonna be tight in the head casting, so the best thing to use is a magnet, or soft-jaw pliers. the shms almost always stick to the top of the bucket, so if you don't see it on the spring hat, don't fear... you didn't drop it....

i want to say clevite should have bearings available, if not, they should at least be able to custom make them.. i'd like to do bearings myself in the turbo motor, but haven't done much research yet on that part...

pistons, rings and such can come from the stealership for stock comonents, or you cn get that stuff from JE, Wiseco, and a few other manufacturers.. (as you know)

rods, slugs, cams, valves, all kinds of stuff is out there for the buying.. Ferrea, carillo, SI valves, ... theres a ton of places out there.. some you can find will specialize in bikes too.. a common race prep in n/a motors is a degreed cam, lighter forged pistons, and 1MM oversized valves.. tends to put upwards of 140-150hp out on the 7, if not more in some cases...

new motors...eh.. don't really know about that.. i'm sure theres a place to get them new or reconditioned, but it beats me with an ugly stick as to where they're at. (that happens alot unfortunately..)

Old 02-03-2008, 12:07 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ezrollin

I had planned on doing a valve adjustment real soon cause my bike has 12k miles and its a 2001 but how often should you do a tensioner adjustment?

I've rebuilt engines (cars) before so I know what a CCT is and am willing to do itif it needs it!

Will try the 91 sometime.

thanks guys
The manual will tell you on the CCT adjustment. Use their tool or your fabbed tool to hold the spring after removal, then replace the tensioner. Torque and you are done. Making sure that your cams are in correct position of course.

Old 02-04-2008, 03:54 AM
1st Gear Member

I thought my engine was noisy at first too, but Ive gotten used to it and heard a couple other 7's and its pretty normal