jumping starter relay still no crank over

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 03:33 AM
1st Gear Member
Default jumping starter relay still no crank over

Okay heres the deal my bike was acting weird then didnt start about two months ago and I havent touch it since, now the weather has been awsome and I want to ride. My zx7 won't do nothing but click once when I hit the starter button. I was reading about 7r's and clicking and every thread said it was the battery, I got a new battery and my baby still clicks once and does nothing. so I try the screw driver to the starter relay and it still clicks once. now I think it's the starter motor but thats just a guess does anyone have any idea what the f!@# is going on with my baby...

Old 05-27-2008, 02:58 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: jumping starter relay still no crank over

well, if you're adiment that it's not the battery, then i'd remove the starter and load test it.
it's pretty easy to get out..

is the battery one of the ones you gotta charge first before installation, or is it already ready already?

some of em need a charge before usage.. even tho they're new.

if you can't put it on a phyical load, at least apply 12 V to it to make sure it spins.

these things are notorious for starting issues, tho it does depend on the model and year..

just to be certain, i'd hook up a car battery to it with jumper cables just for the extra power just to 100% rule out the battery and make sure theres enough power to spin that bad boy.

thats a cool *** pic man.. welcome to KF!

Old 05-27-2008, 05:57 AM
1st Gear Member

I appreciate the help man I thought this was gunna be a dead thread thanks
but yea the battery I charged before I dropped it in. And by bypassing the starter
relay with a screw driver wouldnt that send 12v to the starter motor and at least crank alittle?
but I'm gunna try taking it out and connecting it to a car battery to it tomorrow. thanks again man oh and if
this dont work it has to be the starter motor right? ill update status tomorrow.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:29 AM
1st Gear Member

pretty much.. woste case.. absolute worste case is the motor's locked up. but if it say for only a short bit, then there shoulda been plenty of oil on the journals to prevent seizure.

if you've already jumped power across with a screwstick, then i'd personally just take the dan thing out and first spin it by hand, then apply power to it.
could be a burnt winding or loosee brush or something stupid. if the starter is loose on the case, it won't be grounded very well either, so i'd check the integrity of the teminations.

dead thread.. HA! i got this 7 chit covered like a fat chick on a toilet seat!

but yeah.. car battery should make MORE than enough current to spin it. if that don't work.. take it out and test/ replace.

if the starter's locked up, try to see why.. the one-way starter clutch asembly is an absolute F'ing ***** to get to, and required the ENTIRE motor to be ripped apart..

so if that thing went and fried the bearings, you're looking at a good bit of labor.

i hope its somethin stupid, cheap and easy for ya bro!

Old 05-28-2008, 03:43 AM
1st Gear Member

okay heres the update I took out the starter and connected it to a battery thing spun like crazy!! so I connected everything back together and tried to start it and nothing but that stupid same single click came from the relay. so now i think its a bad starter relay, but how can that be when the 30a fuse hasnt blown ? I know I'am close to fixing my baby so I'am going to get a new relay and see what happens

Old 05-28-2008, 07:15 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

dead thread.. HA! i got this 7 chit covered like a fat chick on a toilet seat!
hahahaha, wh. That will scar me even more! sheesh

Old 05-30-2008, 06:30 AM
1st Gear Member

aww...ted man.. you KNOW you're the mack daddy here..
i cannot compare.

i hail to thee.

wheel.. have ya tested the voltage going TO the starter? if thers power in and no power out, then you definitely have a relay issue.

if there IS power coming out, i'd look at the integrity of the connections and conductors carrying that power.. a cruddy connector or terminal will soak up alot of power..

good luck bro.. sounds like it might be an easy fix! i hope so..

Old 06-29-2008, 10:47 PM
1st Gear Member

sorry it took so long i finally got the time to work on zx7 i got a new starter relay and put it in and it finally cranked over then nothing that stupid clicking all over again any ideas help would be great until then im going to go thru process of elimination with an ohms meter wonder how long this Shiets gunna take Oh and i was reading about starter lockout switch could this be a problem?

Old 07-01-2008, 09:40 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

So what is the voltage at the relay?

Old 07-01-2008, 09:42 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

aww...ted man.. you KNOW you're the mack daddy here..
i cannot compare.

i hail to thee.
yeah, is that why I am still learning from KF?

Quick Reply: jumping starter relay still no crank over