Help....Cut off During ride

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 03:25 PM
Default RE: Help....Cut off During ride

I have it idled at 12-1300. I have it idled up to about 2000, it just sounds like the motor is racing then it will idle back down until it cuts off.

Old 04-16-2008, 03:36 PM
1st Gear Member

huh... i know things that can cause that on a fuel injected car. but not a carbed bike.. i'm stumped

Old 04-16-2008, 03:50 PM

thanks for all the help. I'll try to play around with it and maybe adjust the air settings to see if that helps.

Old 04-16-2008, 04:04 PM
1st Gear Member

just had a thought. when sittign and idling there is no cool air flowing over the electronics. you may be having a problem where an electronic component is overheating.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:17 PM

Right now I'm running my flats with out the air filters, I'm going to put them back on to see if that makes a difference. and check to see if anything as far as the electronics are getting overheated. I'll keep ya posted on what I find out. Thanks for all the help.

Old 04-20-2008, 05:03 AM

Well this is what I found out, you were right on, one of the wires from the ignition plug was burnt and melting so I hard wired it together and it started right up. I also think the fuel pump was going bad so I ran the fuel line directly to the carbs and they worked pretty good. I'm back up and running! Thanks!

Old 04-21-2008, 06:10 PM

Great to hear you figured out the problem. I also am experiencing a similar problem in that when I get on the gas, the bike stutters and falls off. Here's my question though it may sound a little silly. When you turn on the ignition/run switch, does the fuel pump automatically start running?

I just got this bike put together and have never owned a ZX7 before. So really, I've got nothing to go on with reference to a ZX7. However, every bike I've owned though had a fuel pump that ran when you turned on the bike. Either these bikes have the most quiet fuel pumps on the market or I've got a fuel pump issue. Given the sypmtoms, I am apt to conclude that the pump isn't running. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Bryan
89 ZX7 H1

Old 04-22-2008, 11:26 AM

That was a question I asked earlier in this post, because I wasn't sure if the pump should run continuously or just enough to keep fuel in the bowls. You can feel the pump to see if it is actually running or use a test light to see if it's getting power to it. Hope this helps.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:09 PM
1st Gear Member

the fuel pump should provide a constant 3-8psi on carbed vehicles. the manual for your bike should sprecify the exact fuel pressure.

Old 04-27-2008, 04:43 PM

Has anyone successfully de-varnished their fuel pump. I replace the filter and although this improved things a bit, there's still a lot of hesitation when I get on the throttle. Carbs were recently cleane and synched. I saw some varnish inside the pump intake so I suspect that it's got varnish built upside. Anyone else dealt with this without replacing the pump?

Thanks,
BK

Quick Reply: Help....Cut off During ride