Help! Can't start

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 12:21 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Help! Can't start

Please forgive if there's already a thread similar to this... I found a couple that discussed clicking and no starting, but I didn't get anything that was useful to myself from those threads. I'm new to sport biking entirely... in fact the only bike I ever owned was a Susuki gs550 (1981 I think), and only cause it was given to me. So yesterday I purchased a used zx7r from a local bike shop here. I paid very good money for the bike.. being as old as it is, and with 18,000 miles on it, but was told of all the work that's been done to make it top noch and ready to ride. These are the things that I know are done to it: flatside carbs, air shift, d&d exhaust, new tires/chain/plugs and oil. The guy at the shop started it and it ran just fine, sounded great, I was in love with it... I get it in the back of my truck and some 5 or 6 hours later, try to start it in the truck still and nothing. lights on, but no start. So I sit there for a few minutes feeling dumb as hell and after repeatedly pushing the button, finally it fires right up.. no cranking over. I let it idle for at least 5 minutes, maybe more.. then when I came up to temp, I rev'ed it to 3/4k rpms and then turned it off. Started it once more right after to make sure it was going to start for me and it did. So it sat in my truck all night and all day today, as soon as I get home, I can't wait to get it out and ride. I get it out of the truck, first try nothing... second try starts right up. I let it idle for a good 10 minutes and come out, shut it off so I can put the plate on the back, and when I tried to restart it.. nothing. The headlight was on, the neutral night was on, the horn worked... compressor for air ran fine, turn signals function... but no crank or anything. so after listening closely, you can hear a very small click upon first pressing the button.. but it's not a continuous clicking.. just one, then it's done. At the same time as the click, the neutral and oil light momentarily dim ever so slightly, so I at least know I'm makign a connection at the start button. I've tried clutch in/ clutch out, shook it, let it sit for a long time, unhooked the battery, hooked it back up, checked to make sure it was charged, and it is.. took the seat off and listened close.. sounds liek the click is coming from right under the seat. Now the funny thing is... sometimes the headlights would be on, and sometimes I'd turn the key and no lights. I must have been out there an hour trying to figure out what it could be, and nothing. The shop said it's got all new plugs and fully tuned up, but of course they are closed for business today and I haven't spoke to anybody since I've had the problem. I'm so frustrated!!! Any help or suggestions at all would be much appreciated. And I appologize for the lengthy read, but I want to be as specific as possible as to help diagnose my problem correctly.

Thanks again, hopefully I'll be able to keep the bike, and become an active member on this thread!!

Old 06-02-2007, 12:48 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Help! Can't start

just to sort of update, I went out again after leaving it be for at least a half hour. I want to correct myself.. as you press the button, you get the initial click sound, and as long as you hold the button, the lights dim, and when you let go, the lights come back and the sound is as if the click is disengaging. so I found the fuse and what I think is the starter solenoid or relay or whatever it is, and I checked the fuse... 30 amps, and it was fine, jumped the two wires with a screw driver and it cranked like crazy with no start. key was turned, run switch to on, and cranked away with nothing.. not even close. so i checked my fuel switch, i'm not even sure what way it should be, but I definately tried it in all possible directions and got nothing. and yes, the tanks close to full.

Old 06-02-2007, 01:40 AM
1st Gear Member

it almost sounds like you have a short in the starter relay on the bike. I would take it back and make them fix it. That is if it isn't to far to go back to.

That really sucks hope your able to figure it out and fix it.

Old 06-02-2007, 08:56 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I would be taking it back also for a check up. But in all curiousity, curious to see if there is a voltage drop across the starter button, etc. That will cause a relay chatter.

Old 06-02-2007, 01:01 PM
1st Gear Member

I don't have a multimeter to check with right now. it's 8:59 though, and the shop is supposed to open at 9 (not answering their phone yet). You can bet as soon as I figure out how to get it in the truck it's going back!!

Old 06-03-2007, 02:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Deader than hell battery was the culprit. I dont' know why it didnt' start when I tried to jump it?? Maybe I had a bad connection with the cables. Anyway, she runs now... only problem is it doesn't like to idle all the time, though it seems to be getting better after riding about 100 miles. It's a real pain in the *** though when it stalls at every stop sign or red light. It doesnt' like to run at low rpms either.. think that's something to do with the flatside carbs?

Old 06-03-2007, 09:06 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Flat slides will idle just fine. It is all in the adjustments and synchronization.
Congrats that it was just a bad battery.

Old 06-05-2007, 01:28 PM
1st Gear Member

I racked up quite a few miles once I got it running. And it seems like every time I ride it, it becomes a little bit smoother. The idle isn't giving me any problems anymore... and the sputtering and backfiring that it was doing so frequently has also come mostly to an end. I think maybe I had some stale gas or something similar from sitting over the winter, and it just needed to wake up again. The only other thing I can think is that the weather was making it run ****ty. Would the bike maybe be sensative to the temp outside? Or do you think it's just cleaning itself up by running it? It was real hot out the first day that I was riding when I had all the problems, like in the 90's and since then it's only been mid 70's.

Old 06-07-2007, 02:17 PM
1st Gear Member

My old 7 would run a little differently depending on the weather, but not so much so it ran like garbage... one thing I will tell you is to make sure you run premium fuel in it. At least from my experience with both the 7 and the 9... they really don't like running low-grade gas, and you will notice a difference in responsiveness and smooth running and such. If you had bad gas in there - it would surely cause some problems. Just for fun, throw a can of HEET in with your next tank.

You might also want to change the fuel filter and when you have a rainy day - pull the tank off and check out the sparkplugs. They might need to be replaced as well. Otherwise - it sounds like things are straightening up on the bike and you should get a lot of enjoyment out of it! Gratz!

Old 06-08-2007, 05:09 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

+1^ Plenty of enjoyments on the 7's when tuned. Have fun.