ZX6R Battery Trouble, pls help

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 04:33 PM
Default ZX6R Battery Trouble, pls help

Hi All,

I have an R reg ZX6R Ninja and for the last 5-6 months I have had constant battery trouble which even two mechanics cannot fix.

Yesterday I had the battery replaced as the mechanic told me the old battery was holding around 12V but should in fact be between 13.8 - 15.5.

I drove the bike about 6 miles yesterday evening and it felt great. I went to start it again today and no joy. The bike is turning over and trying really hard to start but nothing igniting.

I do have a META M357 Thatcham alarm on the bike so I'm wondering is the alarm draining the battery although when I first got the bike 2 years ago I didn't have this problem.

I have brought the bike to two different mechanics four times and the bike doesn't last very long after they recharge or replace the battery and I drive it out of the shop, sometimes like last night I'll only get a single trip.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be going on here?

Please help,
Colin

Old 04-25-2009, 06:06 PM
1st Gear Member

the only thing i can think of is there is a positive wire grounding out somewhere. if it is compleating the circut you are just loosing the charge in the frame somewhere. i would check the high rub points first, the tail light wires, and under the tank. places where the insulation may have been rubbed off by a few years of vibration against solit metal.

hope this helps. i was a mechanic for a while and that would have been my first guess. next would be that the stator is bad. and not charging the batty, however you said two mechanics have already looked at it and they would have (should have) checked that already

Old 04-25-2009, 11:06 PM
1st Gear Member

i would say its the stator, i had a similar problem, my stator died, and the bike kept running the battery down..

Old 04-26-2009, 03:42 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Welcome to KF, and yeppers on the charging system being an issue.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:53 AM
1st Gear Member

i agree with the wire situation, an old wise man once told me, most electrical problems can be traced back to the ground. either the ground connections are bad, the insulation has worn off of a wire and is going to ground, or the charging system (stator) is bad. i would also try the cheap fixes first