ZX-6r engine questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 09:47 AM
Default ZX-6r engine questions

Hello, I am a student at Oregon State Univ and I am taking part in our FormulaSAE racing team. My question is that we are and have been running a 2001-2003 (I think thats the year range) zx6r engine because of its power, reliability and cost. One thing about it though is that we have to run our own intake and injection system and we also run a stand alone computer and tune it on a dyno that we have in our shop. I have been on the team for a couple weeks and have drifted into the engine side of things, I really didnt want to get into the suspension yet or the chassis and it looked like the engine guys needed the help.

I would like to know if there were any companies thatmake custom internals i.e. crank, cams, rods and pistons. Also I had an idea that to save weight it is that we could run a carbon fiber exhaust off of a newer R6 or GSXR because they are like half the size of a regular muffler. We are allowed 110Db and I think that it would do alright with one but dont really know if that would really affect the performance of the engine by having practically an open header. Having worked on some dirt bikes and owning a streetbike(r6) I can fix things wrong with them but never dug inside a bike like this before. Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated and we are always looking for sponsors. (I know, I know shameless plug)

We won best acceleration last year and we are running an air shifted transmission (the airshifter setup is student designed) but we over heated in the endurance race because I think they had too small of a radiator. Anyone know how heavy a stock radiator on a zx6r?

here is the link for our team. http://groups.engr.oregonstate.edu/SAE/indexA.html

Old 02-13-2007, 09:50 AM
Default RE: ZX-6r engine questions

Oh yea, a little off topic but I am going to buy another bike this summer and I am probably going to go kawi this time. I might just go cheap and get a 500r but I have always wanted a zx7r. Would a 636 be better? My friend has been trying to talk me into getting a 7 but im unsure.

Old 02-13-2007, 06:33 PM

DONT GET THE ZX7R TOO HEAVY, if you get one get a zx636 much better technology! If you want to know more about performance parts contact Muzzy performance in Bend Oregon, they are the best for Kawasaki parts and tell what you need their number is 541-385-0706 or look at their website muzzy.com...good luck...

Old 02-13-2007, 06:53 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BeaverRacing

Oh yea, a little off topic but I am going to buy another bike this summer and I am probably going to go kawi this time. I might just go cheap and get a 500r but I have always wanted a zx7r. Would a 636 be better? My friend has been trying to talk me into getting a 7 but im unsure.
7 way to heavy 636= heaven lol yeah go with the 636 best bike in my opinion. there are a bunch of after markets for the 01 6r, cant think of any right now but do a simple search on google ("01 zx6r crank"). etc.

Old 02-13-2007, 07:31 PM

I figured on the 636. I like the looks of the 7 but I was afraid of it being heavy.

I did google the 6r and pretty much got crap for hits. It was pretty much all undertails and windscreens. I was hoping there would be a shop out there that specialized in ninjas.

Old 02-13-2007, 08:31 PM
1st Gear Member

I like my 06 636 great bike nice power and easy to work on..
http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t197/mikedrinfla/?action=view&current=DSCN0407.flv?t=1171238588
Here is my carbon fiber scorpion exhaust. And I do believe it will meet your specs of 110 db.

Old 02-13-2007, 08:43 PM

How heavy is it compared to stock? The way the car is geared we havent made use of the high rev limit and that sounds like the loudest part on your bike which would work great.

Old 02-13-2007, 08:55 PM
1st Gear Member

I do believe it was around 10 pounds lighter then the stock exhaust. This is just a slip on. plus my bike is an 06 don't know exactly what the engine diff is between the year you have and mine. mine is the 636 not a 600. after I put on the slip on and k&n filter I installed my powercommanderIII and had it dyno mapped out and gained almost 6hp from stock.

Old 02-13-2007, 09:48 PM

We are running haltech stand alone for tuning and we would definately have to tune around the exhaust. 10 lbs is good I think we are just running an aftermarket one but it is definately not carbon fiber.

Old 02-13-2007, 09:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Also when you are looking for acarbon fiber exhaust make sure that it is a true carbon fiber exhaust and not a wrap with a metal core.Hey a couple of pounds is a couople of pounds. Good luck with the project keep us informed on how it goes and how the comp goes. And welcome to the KF family.