wont start after oil change

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 05:19 AM
Default wont start after oil change

i just got done changing my oil and man was it a pain. i tore up the filter so bad i had to remove the headers and radiator to get it off. now it wont start. all it does is crank and crank and backfire. its spittin flames out the the tailpipe. i dont know whats wrong with it.

i have all the plastics off of it right now cause im having em painted if that makes a differance? also i used vavoline 20-50 like the dealership said. any ideas what my problem could be? its a 92 zx6D

Old 04-12-2006, 06:32 AM
Default RE: wont start after oil change

anybody? geez wheres evil636 when i need him

Old 04-12-2006, 06:59 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Ya, no joke!! that's a tuff one man. I don't know. The only thing I can think of is, maybe something came unplugged somewhere?? How did the old oil look like? were there any metal shavings, etc in it?

No prob with the 20w50, fairings won't have anything to do with it... Is the oil filter on that one a cartidge? If it's on backwards, maybe it would cause a low oil pressure problem and stop the bike from starting. Which in turn loads up the motor with fuel, then boom, flames out the exhaust??

I'm just guessing here man... that's the things I would start if it was mine...??

Old 04-12-2006, 07:48 AM

Dude I don't know. I changed my oil recently and had no prob. sorry bro

Old 04-12-2006, 08:05 AM

nah man nothings unpllugged i checked all that. its gettin fire but ts dumpin fuel and floodin the damn thing. even if i chake it all the way. i know i need to have my carbs re jetted and synced but it still started before that. its gettin fire cause it tries to start but then it just floods out. The oil was due big time. there went any shavings that i could see and the filter looked like it was the original one. kinda scary seein as the bike has 51k on it. the filter is a typical screw on filter. the old one was in japanese or somethin. im usin a wix filter on it. i am at a complete loss on this. im gonna try to start it in the morning and see what it does. the other day it wouldnt start in the morning and when i got home from work that afternoon it started right up.

Old 04-12-2006, 08:18 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

yo, try draining the float bowls on the carbs, if alot of fuel dumps out then you know its flooding out. i dont see how a fuel issue would arise from changing the oil though. were there any sensors hooked to the radiator or on the head pipe anywhere that you can remember ?

Old 04-13-2006, 02:26 AM

there was one hooked onto the radiator. but i i think put it back the way it was supposed to

Old 04-13-2006, 03:10 AM
1st Gear Member

Check all of the vaccum lines that connect to the carbs, they are 1/4" dia. black hoses, the same ones you use to synchronize the carbs.
The bike will not start with these unhooked as they create the vaccum that pulls fuel to the carbs. Also check that all your spark plug wires are connected, they are very long and can be seated but still not make connection.

Good Luck!

Old 04-13-2006, 03:38 AM

bike started fine the day before. i dont know why it wont start now. its gettin fuel i know this from the big a$$ flame comin out of the tailpipe when it backfires

Old 04-13-2006, 03:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Backfiring usually means you are running too rich (too much fuel/not enough air). Is there anything blocking the air passage ?

Quick Reply: wont start after oil change