wheelie?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 03:59 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: wheelie?

Once I get above 12,000 rpms the front wheel comes up on its own, that is probrably due to the larger 636cc engine. I can't take off full throttle without the wheel coming up. I almost want to lengthen the wheelbase to stop this but it is pretty fun. Your better off clutching it, letting off and snapping the throttle is bad for the chain and sprockets. They will stretch quickly.
Have you changed your sprocket? I redline mine all the time and my front wheel is always on the ground.

Old 06-23-2006, 04:23 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Merdox
Have you changed your sprocket? I redline mine all the time and my front wheel is always on the ground.
Nope, she's stock. It's probrably just from having my 5'6" 200lb frame sitting on the back of the seat.

Old 06-23-2006, 07:55 AM
1st Gear Member

I was gonna say...I sit forward on my seat when i dont want her to come up

Old 06-24-2006, 03:24 AM

ORIGINAL: 05ZX6R

Once I get above 12,000 rpms the front wheel comes up on its own, that is probrably due to the larger 636cc engine. I can't take off full throttle without the wheel coming up. I almost want to lengthen the wheelbase to stop this but it is pretty fun. Your better off clutching it, letting off and snapping the throttle is bad for the chain and sprockets. They will stretch quickly.
So i'm a little confused, how does powering up a wheelie stretch and put more strain on the sprockets and chain than doing a clutching one up? Aside from that last I checked new clutch plates were more than sprockets or a chain???

Old 06-24-2006, 09:19 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

clutch wheelies are also bad on your windscreen too.

Old 06-24-2006, 03:39 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ryninger
So i'm a little confused, how does powering up a wheelie stretch and put more strain on the sprockets and chain than doing a clutching one up? Aside from that last I checked new clutch plates were more than sprockets or a chain???
He was saying to get going in gear and then let off quickly to compress the front forks and than snap the throttle to bring up the wheel. People think that the forks rebounding makes the wheel come up but they are wrong. The reason is that when you let off quickly the tension on the chain is let up and when you snap the throttle you are quickly snapping the chain back into tension and that is what stretches your chain and detroys sprocket teeth and makes the bolt holes mounting the sprockets oval.

And clutch plates are cheaper only if you are doing the install yourself. It's not half as easy as a chain and sprocket kit.

Old 06-25-2006, 05:13 AM

ORIGINAL: 05ZX6R

He was saying to get going in gear and then let off quickly to compress the front forks and than snap the throttle to bring up the wheel. People think that the forks rebounding makes the wheel come up but they are wrong. The reason is that when you let off quickly the tension on the chain is let up and when you snap the throttle you are quickly snapping the chain back into tension and that is what stretches your chain and detroys sprocket teeth and makes the bolt holes mounting the sprockets oval.

And clutch plates are cheaper only if you are doing the install yourself. It's not half as easy as a chain and sprocket kit.
and pulling in the clutch doesn't let the chain slack?

Old 06-25-2006, 05:53 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ryninger
and pulling in the clutch doesn't let the chain slack?
No it doesn't. When you pull in the clutch the pressure plates are released from the friction plates which are connected directy to the front sprocket which is connected to the chain and the rear sprocket. So they keep moving at the same speed. Now if you let off the throttle real quickly then you are slowing the bike faster than the engine speed (or vice versa depending on the gear) and that means the rear sprocket slows down faster than the front sprocket and the chain creates slack. Also the flex in the suspension shortens the wheelbase slighty which in turn adds more slack to the chain.

Old 06-25-2006, 06:46 AM
1st Gear Member

Nope, she's stock. It's probrably just from having my 5'6" 200lb frame sitting on the back of the seat.
I am still surprised that you can power your bike up so easily. I tried sitting as far back as I could and just gassed it, and nothing happened except me going really fast. I only weight 170 so I guess the extra junk in the trunk helps.

Old 06-25-2006, 07:39 AM
1st Gear Member

I do it in first gear... get up to around 5k and then hammer it from there. I dont let off and do it, more like a roll on wheelie. This was the first way that I learned to do it. I havent tried a clutch wheelie yet, but I tried to take off from a stop light once and as soon as I let off the clutch the front went sky ward.... that was scary and fun at the same time.

Quick Reply: wheelie?