What I Learned About My Bike Today

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 12:12 PM
Default What I Learned About My Bike Today

Just so everyone knows where I'm coing from...

As some of you know I wrecked my 2006 636 not too long after I purchased it. To be exact.. it was the same day. Yeah, it's what you get for "showing off." The bill is somewhere around 1800 dollars (replacement parts, not counting the aftermarket goodies I'm throwing it with), and I've been doing it all myself. So far I've replaced the alternator/stator/ignition (so many different names..) cover and the clutch side handlebar. Oh, I changed the oil & filter too (first time for a bike). I've also completely stripped the bike of its messed up parts and it seems to be coming along nicely. Perhaps the silver lining in all of this is that I get to really know my bike and all its working parts. Check out the picture for a general idea of what I'm dealing with.

Getting to the point, today I learned that my bike won't start if it gets too hot. Somewhere in the 230 F range, I dunno the exact number. It acts like its starting but pumps like twice and makes a cool electrical "heck no" sound. I also learned that my turn signals won't work unless everything is hook up, which is a shame when you want to test out your new integrated taillight. My fairings come in next week... check out this Ebay auction I won: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWN%3AIT. But yeah, I'll show you guys the "transformation" from wrecked to whoa when it is all said and done.

Old 09-01-2006, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: What I Learned About My Bike Today

great price. good luck with the rest.

Old 09-01-2006, 06:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Ouch. Good luck man. I put mine down 6 days after buyin it & I thought I had it bad!

Old 09-01-2006, 07:39 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

good luck with putting it back together.btw whats wrong with the cooling system it should not reach 230??

Old 09-01-2006, 07:46 PM

yeah, how are you even getting it to 230?

Old 09-01-2006, 08:49 PM

Well, I was fooling around with the turn signals and my bike had bee idling for a while, so I shut it off, then turned it back on... then let it run some more. It was 210 F when I shut it off the second time and the fan had just turned on, and I let it sit for about 30 seconds. I turned the igniton key and looked down at the temperature reading and it said 230 F and thought for a second, "Hmm, that's pretty hot," but cranked it anyways. Like I said though, once it made that attempt to start and that electrical "No, No" noise I new I had to come back when she cooled down some. I guess with nothing to cool it, it just heated up past that 210 F mark. I'm really not worried, but I am going to keep my eye on that.

Old 09-01-2006, 08:56 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

ok that makes sense.any way have fun wrenching looking forward to the pics when she'e **** again.[8D]

Old 09-01-2006, 10:48 PM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

dude, where the hell you been ? i have every part to repair your bike man.

Old 09-02-2006, 07:25 AM

Well, I have most of my parts, but there are some I don't have. I need a fuel tank (Kawa green) that's in perfect condition because I was going to buy one new, but if I can get one for less... I also need the cover that comes with the fuel tank. Also, a shifter lever without road rash would be nice.

Old 09-02-2006, 08:11 AM
1st Gear Member

what happened that your put it down showing off? j/w great deal on the plastics.

Quick Reply: What I Learned About My Bike Today