What is a good first bike for girls

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 09:46 PM
Default What is a good first bike for girls

I have 2 friends that are wanting to start riding. and im trying to help them out by finding out what would be a good bike to start with. both are ladies, and they are both (i would say petite). any help would be appreciated, and i will pass it along to them. they are new to riding, and have only taken a bike class. so thats the only riding they have done.

Old 08-06-2005, 10:51 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: What is a good first bike for girls

a good choice would be the ninja 250. We have alot of people in this from who ride that type of bike. They could give you better feed back on the bike a whole lot better then I can. So good luck. Gear up and ride safe. Also tell your friends to do the same.

Old 08-06-2005, 10:54 PM

Yeah thats a good bike. Thats what I started out on.

Old 08-07-2005, 01:13 AM

alot of people around here say they should go to the dealer and sit on different bikes, and see which one is comfortable, a 250 would be best for them then, i will tell them that. thanks. if anyone eles has any ideas, please let me know.

Old 08-07-2005, 06:01 PM

Ninja 250 all the way for the newbie...especially for women. I just started riding a 250 and it is light and not enough torque to throw me on my @$$ if i slip the clutch . I went out on the road for the first time yesterday!!!!!! I was out all day off and on...I am totally addicted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Other riders around me kept telling me not to waste my money on a 250 and to start with a 500+. That would have been a huge mistake! I went out some small twisites yesterday with top speed of 45. My poor hubby and his R1 were dying the entire time...LOL...but he is so patient and an EXCELLENT teacher.

You can always move up if you see the 250 is not enough bike.

Old 08-07-2005, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator

tiny250, congrats on your new ride. it's a whole new freedom isn't it? it's wonderful. welcome to the world of two wheels. now you don't have to ride b!tch anymore. take it slow, learn all you can, gear up and ride safe. enjoy the ride TINY "T". [sm=hail.gif][sm=happy046.gif]

Old 08-08-2005, 12:15 AM

yep, welcome to the world of 2 wheels, like they said, just take your time, and get to know the bike, and the more u ride, the more u will get comfortable with the bike, and the more u will enjoy the open road.

Old 08-08-2005, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator

The 500 isn't a bad bike to start on either. They aren't quite as nice looking as the 250's though. You should get your lady friends to have a look at both bikes, sit on them, get a feel for the weight and what not.

I got my license this past May, and I bought a 500. I am 5'4" and the bike fits me quite well. I absolutely love it! Good bike to cruise around on, but if you want, it can really come alive for you too!

Old 08-08-2005, 10:06 PM

I do agree that the 500 or even 250 are greater starter bikes for Guys or girls. I Girl doesn't need to start off the small either. My first street bike was the 636 and actually I start to learn on a 750.

The cc doesn't matter, cause the height can be adjusted and two the cc is all in the wrist, but I do agree, until they are familiar with the controlls, don't have suck a torque bike.

No offense, I just hate when I see what should a girl start off with, just say what should a new rider start on.

Old 08-08-2005, 10:28 PM

I have an 04 250. And at first I got really discouraged b/c of the break in period.But like I said in another post after about 600 miles you can wind it out pretty good. You can tell when the bike breaks in b/c you can just feel it take off.I have about 1700 on it right now and it get's faster every time I ride! My top speed so far on that bike was 120 and last time I was on it (b/c of my stupid finger, it hasn't been in a long time!) I felt the front end lift a little bit in 3rd,which was awesome!! If they are new riders they will be able to "grow" with this bike as they get better so will the bike. I am also about 5'6" and have a hard time fitting on anything also reach was a factor in choosing the 250 I like being able to lean forward or sit up comfortably.

Quick Reply: What is a good first bike for girls