Vortex Frame Sliders Really Work!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 03:25 AM
Default Vortex Frame Sliders Really Work!

I just finished taking a two day intermediate trackday class at Thunderhill that was put on by Keigwins At The Track. Great school, learned alot, had a very good time as well, even after spending 4 hours at the local hospital. It was the second day and this secession of the class was to do a three lap sprint. We did two grid starts and ran up around turn 1, the ZX6R did better than I expected and I came out of turn 1 in the top ten (started mid pack) the first go around and then 3rd, the second time around. Now it was time for the 3 lap sprint. I started out good, there was alot of traffic. Riding through turn 1 was like threading a needle, if there was an open spot, you better take it. I made some passes going around turn two, this is a 180 degree turn and you can accelerate pretty hard from the apex which is about mid turn. By the end of the first lap I was in the top ten and the field of 30 had thinned out. I had no traffic on the front straight, I held my own and kept up my pace, the guy infront of me was just too far ahead to tell if I was making any ground. I come into turn 11 which is a slow turn and accelerate hard out of it, turn 12 and 13 are an S type turn and I accelerate hard out of 13 toward the bridge. I hear my engine rpm go up, I see a green blur and then asphalt infront of my eyes, I hit hard and slide which seemed forever. I am in disbelief, it has to be a dream, I stare up into the sky as I lay on my back, I feel pain.... I start moving first my fingers and then the toes, a course worker runs up to me to check me out, the ambalance is already there. They check me out and have me sit up to remove my gloves and now a damaged helmet. It feels like I had the air knocked out of me but somewhat deeper. They get me to my feet and help me walk to the ambalance. I can see my bike back at the exit of turn 13 which is about 120 to 150 feet away, they cannot beleive how far I slid. Once we drive to the medical office at the track, I can't walk, so it is a trip to the hospital for xrays. Bottom line, it looks like I broke my pevic bone so walking the next few weeks is out of the question. The new Moto GP suit is wasted, the new 2006 Suomy Tamada helmet is now a conversation piece, Held galaxy gloves are now for backup ones, the fairly new Sidi boots can still be worn but have heavy wear. The good news is that with out this gear, I would of been off way worst. Yes, I do not like to fall, and the equipment is expensive, but it does save your skin and body parts. It could of been alot worst. Oh and the Vortex frame sliders I did install with the swing arm sliders did do there job. the front fairing and rear seat fairing do have road rash, but no broken parts! So what caused the crash? The only thing I can think of is there must of been some type of fluid spill on the track. I was not able to check it out due to my condition, but the bike only hit on the left side and I was coming out of a left hander. I usually hit about 70 mph out of this turn.

Here is the Gotbluemilk photo site and pictures of the 3 lap sprint ( http://gotbluemilk.com/web050921/race2/index.html ) , I am the green ZX6R, the red flag came out when I went down.

Mike

[IMG]local://upfiles/452/EFDEC19FFD434C0A96BA5B98364634F7.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/452/A9E429C8C711491E953AA9BBC879F849.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/452/6D61FAD8AB5A480CB86BBF209E82F091.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-24-2005, 04:06 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Vortex Frame Sliders Really Work!

Glad to hear your ok bro. Indeed, the consensus seems to be that gear saves your hide. Hope you get back on two wheels soon.

Old 09-24-2005, 05:11 AM

WOW glad to here your somewhat "ok". The track you were on looks like it would be a blast. Get well and hope your riding in 2 wheels soon

Old 09-24-2005, 05:48 AM

Being 48 years old, I feel young but I guess I am not as young in the healing department. It is sure fun taking your helmet off and seeing the young kids faces when they see your gray hair! The riding season is starting to come to a close, I will be healthy for the coming year.

Mike

Old 09-24-2005, 08:11 AM

glad to hear you and your bike made it thru wit little problems

Old 09-24-2005, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator

dude, glad to hear your ok. damb looks like fun. get well soon. i don't even have to safe gear up and ride safe. you already do. [sm=smiley32.gif]

Old 09-24-2005, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator

First off have to say glad your ok.

It does sound like you lost traction from your description but looked like I was still a great weekend. Your right about the healing though, I have been nursing a rib for like 2.5 months I do not seem to heal like I used to either.

Your pics look great too, nice form if I am picking you out correctly, hell everyone was looking good. I have wanted to go to the Ca Super bike School for a while, believe it will be on my x-mas list this year.

In addition, the bike did very well; lucky it did not grab and start flipping.

Well take it easy and be sure to update us on the healing progression.

Old 09-30-2005, 05:07 AM

The exit of turn 13 at T-Hill is very tricky. As you gain confidence over the two day period you tend you get on the gas a little sooner exiting corners. Turn 13 in notorius for spitting people off because it is slightly off camber at the exit. I know of a few who have gone down there most recently a guy on a new Gixer 1K on Labor day. He wasn't so lucky. The only thing left of the bike was a motor in a frame with a destroyed rear wheel attached to it. I've done a head stand on my 750 there because I was getting a bit agressive, woke me right up!

Glad to hear you are alright and understand what the gear is for. I always am happy to remind patients of mine that gear is much cheaper than skin grafts.

BTW, Keigwins puts on a great track day, Lance is a very good friend of mine. I was lucky enough to win the three lap sprint last year on my RC51. Brought back many memories for sure.

Heal well, have fun, and ride safe! Hope to see you out there soon.

Old 09-30-2005, 07:06 AM

Banzai,

I think you are 100% spot on about turn 13. I was rolling the throttle on quite early and pushing on the bars to stand the bike up sooner at the exit of 13 while getting on the throttle hard. Looking toward the bridge and then realizing that I was not on my bike anymore. [:'(] There was another bike that went down in the same spot on the warm up lap in the A group. Oh well, I am looking forward to next year. Time to heal and buy new gear and some body work.

Mike

Old 09-30-2005, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator

First of all - very glad to hear that you are okay Mike! I hope you have a speedy recovery.

I must say that it is awesome that at your age, you are out enjoying this sport to the fullest. Those pics are absolutely amazing!

Get well soon

Quick Reply: Vortex Frame Sliders Really Work!