swapping frames

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 06:21 AM
Default swapping frames

Hi, my brother has a 2006 zx636 that he crashed, his insurance paid him for the bike, the frame is straight and doesn't really need to be replaced but I don't want to register it as a salvage title, I was told that the only way around that is to buy a frame that has a clean title and swap. I guess my question is what is the earliest year frame that I can buy? can I go with one from a 2004 or older, or does it have to be an 06 frame? Also, does anyone have any suggestions on where I can get frame?? I was also told that if I get a frame that is clear I can actually have the vin stamped on the old frame instead of swapping frames, is this true, it sounds illegal?? Thanks for for any help you guys can give

Old 11-13-2006, 06:34 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: swapping frames

The thing about having the VIN stamped on the new frame can't be legal. I don't see the big deal swapping frames though.

Good luck W/that.

Old 11-13-2006, 06:59 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Only 05 or 06 frames are the same.

Old 11-13-2006, 07:05 AM
1st Gear Member

VIN & engine number have to match up too ya know. Or else you know something is fishy.

Old 11-13-2006, 07:13 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Not always. My vin & engine #'s are different; not matching like the last 8 #'s. The engine is considered personal property and a bike can have a different engine without it matching as long as it's not stolen. If you get a NEW frame, it should come with documentation. Get a clear title frame on ebay at around $2000 or less but make sure it's an 05 or 06. Preferably an 06 so it's newer for resale value.

Old 11-13-2006, 07:17 AM
1st Gear Member

^^^ same here. No vehicle I have ever owned including both my bikes have ever had their engine serial# checked.

Old 11-13-2006, 07:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Please correct me, unless I'm on crack ... then just run away.
Isn't a salvage title to alert future buyers that the vehicle has been "wrecked" but still in active use? It seems like you're trying to work around the obvious. Why not just turn it into a track bike?'

**EDIT!**

Ok wikipedia gives a great example of what a salvage title means.
Seems like this is what happened. Only reason to work around it is if you were to sell it for full retail amount afterwards. Mmmmmmshady?

Old 11-13-2006, 02:29 PM
1st Gear Member

IF you get different frame, say an '05, your bike now becomes an '05 because the vin # on the frame is what is registered for your tags.

Old 11-13-2006, 08:37 PM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

what state are you in ? i know in cali theres different rules and laws. like if i bought a frame and built a bike out of spare parts, it would be considered a special construction, even though its a 2006 zx6r. [:'(]

Old 11-13-2006, 10:18 PM

The bike is going to be for me not for resale, in MA it's really difficult to register a salvage motorcycle from what I hear. I'm just trying to make the process easier for myself. If it was as easy as gonig to the registry and getting it done I wouldn't have an issue. Can a "track bike" be registered and be street legal. I'm completely new to all this stuff, that's why Im not sure what I should do. I rather spend my time swapping the frame, if it's possible, rather than chasing paperwork to register it as a salvage

Quick Reply: swapping frames