suspension adjustments

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 11:33 PM
1st Gear Member
Default suspension adjustments

okay so i have researched alot and found out some different settings for good values for suspension...i am using the sports rider's suggested values as a starting point only... for a 2006 zx6r

front: preload- 4 lines showing rebound damping- 2.5 turns out from full stiff compression damping- 1.5 turns out from full stiff
rear: preload- 15mm thread showing from top of threads to top of spring rebound damping- 11 clicks out from full stiff compression damping 0.5 turns out from full stiff
now, i am going on some rough highway terrain as well as some nice back roads..but most of my riding is on I-80 (which in my area suxs really bad and is full of bumps and pot holes all over)!!!!

should i try to get 0.25 turn less on rebound damping on the front from stock 1.75 turn (meaning 1.5 turns out),
as well as compression damping from 0.75 to 0.5, 16 mm preload from 17 mm??? that would make the suspension pretty much one value harder...

then for the rear the same thing make it all like a minimal value harder...but the big problem that i cannot understand is where can i get a hook wrench to loosen or tighten the rear preload, should i just use an ice pick and a hammer???

last thing on the front preload do they mean 4 lines showing as the 4th line being level with the outer tube or what???

but right now going to stick with the sport rider's values and take them out on freeway to see how it does...if it feels different then change some values i should have it then...

Old 04-06-2008, 12:58 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: suspension adjustments

well after some testing out the values i felt they where to soft in the front and also in the rear...so i hardend the front and the rear...with these values...since i sometimes take on passengers and most of the time go fast...aswell as on rough and pot hole heaven roads!!! ekkk

front: preload- 16mm (stock 17mm)
rebound damping force- 1.5 turns (stock 1.75 turn)
compression damping force- 0.5 turns (stock 0.75 turns)

rear: rebound damping force 8 clicks out from 1st click
compression damping force- 0.5 turns (stock 0.75 turns)
preload- 180mm stock didn't mess with still don't have hook wrench!!!

i think i might want to change rear preload alittle but that should work haven't tested it out i will test it tomorrow and then adjust from there...does anybody think i shouldn't get to hard on the suspension???

Old 04-06-2008, 10:10 PM

Did you set your sag?

Old 04-07-2008, 12:37 AM
1st Gear Member

crap in my haste i forgot to do that...i got all messed up with that...was taking measurements and got it all set up to do the sag but me dog ran down the road and i had to chase it for atleast a mile...i totaly forgot but i have the zip ties on the tubes to get a measurement with me on it...

going to need my whole family to hold me bike up for the free sag...

for the preload on the rear shock is there any suggestions on how to measure it...do i take the rear set heel shield off to see it properly???

man i am trying to measure out my preload on my front and it is hard as hell to get an acurate reading....so i think me preload on the front is off alittle so i need to make sure it is 17 mm

Old 04-07-2008, 01:11 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

When you get your front & rearsag set, the pre-load will be correct.

Old 04-07-2008, 02:04 AM
1st Gear Member

okay that would be good...now the damping and compression i heard is more difficult because of the geometry of the bike and such...etc. etc. etc. but i think i will figure a good setting i am thinking of leaving them stock settings...the preload i think will help...then the monster will come out with the damping and compression...

i was looking at me rear tire...it had alot of the front groove edges worn and the rear groove edge was fine...i think it is skipping and i forget if it is the compression or the damping that needs to be adjusted...

Old 04-07-2008, 02:12 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Make sure your tire pressures are good. 31 front/ 30 rear cold is a good start for the trackday. For street, 32/36 is what I run with good results.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:14 AM
1st Gear Member

this sucks i cannot figure out how to measure the preload on the bike...i want it exact...i have gone from 4 lines to 3 lines showing and both seem to give the same amount of travel to the zip tie on the tube...i was wondering if my bike was allowed extra distance because i am trying to get it to around 30mm in distance traveled...

i started at 4 lines and worked down to 3 lines with same show...will show the zip tie going down half way...besides the preload everything else is back to stock settings...because i wanted to set sag....am i doing something wrong???

the last question is i am confused about rebound and compression... i know one makes the suspension go down at a certain rate and the other lets the suspension up at a certain rate...but i don't feel much difference on roads from stock settings and stiffer settings and softer..the only difference was the front when i went around the corner full lean i felt like the front was going to come out on its own or something...like i would slip out...also nose dived on hard stops...

i really don't want to give up but i am running out of patience on getting this working right...

Old 04-07-2008, 05:51 PM

I don't really think that using a zip tie will give you an accurate measurement. You need a friend to measure the bike while you are sitting on it, and another to hold it vertical so you are putting the full force as if you were riding.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:38 PM
1st Gear Member

i think i will try that....

right now i have it at 39/64 inches out on each side....and i am getting around 35mm on the bottome of the zip tie and almost 60mm on the top...

when i am getting the measurement should i have one person place force on it or just me??? i thought if i just sit on it and press front the triple clamp it should give me accurate reading...

does anybody know the numbers i should be looking for in sag???

because even when i tighten the preload on front down to 10 mm it still seems to go halfway down!!!!

could me springs be dead...also when i press down on the tail i hear a sound from the bike i am going to check and see if it is the shock i hope it isn't the shock...

Quick Reply: suspension adjustments