Stupidest mistake!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 10:16 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Stupidest mistake!!!

Ok I got some Galfer brake pads for Xmas and I changed out the back brake because it was almost to the metal. But I checked the fronts and they still had some meat on them, so clean them up and put them back on. In the process of putting the pads back I thought I got one of the pins through the pad..but i'm guessing it didn't make it in the hole.

So about 2 miles from my house the pad falls and I lose all the pressure to the front brakes. At that time I didn't know the pad came off so I kept pumping the brake lever until it got hard again. The brake lever hardened up but had a really bad vibration when the front brakes were applied. So I take the bike back home using the back brake only and inspect the brakes. I took the caliper off and found the Piston hitting the rotor LOL. I was ****ting bricks because i couldn't push the piston back in by hand..so I used a screw driver handle and got it back in. After i pushed it in with the screw driver I was able to compress it by hand thankfully.

I changed out the front pads to galfer and made sure they were on good and secure. So now I feel dumb and will triple check my brakes if I do that again!

Old 01-05-2008, 10:22 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Stupidest mistake!!!

wow glad nothing bad happend, worst case senario the front brakes could have complatly locked up while riding.

the main think that you are going to need to check is the seals around the pistons, if those were ripped or something then you will be bleeding fluid and loose your front breaks

Old 01-05-2008, 10:32 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I cannot see a brake lock up, but still glad that nothing happened. My point of view is spongy response and lack of front brakes.

edit: did the piston get chewed?

Old 01-05-2008, 11:26 PM
1st Gear Member

brake lock up could occur on slotted rotors. i read his post wrong and thought he had galfer rotors on the front for some reason (witch are slotted)

my bad, still could have been bad though

Old 01-06-2008, 07:28 AM
1st Gear Member

Thankfully the piston didn't get chewed too bad, it's nothing really. I did check the seal and there was no juice coming out

Old 01-07-2008, 01:17 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

You're also lucky that the piston didn't come all the way out. You would have lost the brake fluid all over your wheel & front tire.[:@]I think hey are designed tokeep fromcoming all the way out but if the pistons start to wear against the rotor, they will go past the seal, leak all the fluid,get cocked and lock up the front brake. A disasterous combination!