Starting issues. HELP PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 05:29 PM
Angry Starting issues. HELP PLEASE

I recently purchased a 99 zx6r with a little under 20k on it...bike ran fine. Changed spark plugs, oil, new gas, started right up rode for a couple hours and garaged it...the next day and it's been about 4 or 5 days goin, the damn thing won't start. Battery is good I've got power but it won't turn over. If it was litterally just running what could I be doin wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is my first bike and I'm trying to learn as I go along. Thanks!

Old 04-02-2010, 10:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Does the starter turn and the engine not fire, or does it not do anything at all? If the starter doesnt turn it will be an electrical issue, if it does turn but the engine doesnt start you will have to check for fuel and spark. Double check your work from the weekend and make sure you got everything back together properly and go from there. Let us know what you find, Welcome to KF!

Old 04-04-2010, 02:59 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Make sure the kill switch is in the on position? Welcome to KF.

Old 04-04-2010, 03:38 AM
1st Gear Member

lol I thought that too, Drag. and check that its in neutral, but I assumed that was covered.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:11 AM
1st Gear Member
Default start-up problem

Originally Posted by Buffalobilly
I recently purchased a 99 zx6r with a little under 20k on it...bike ran fine. Changed spark plugs, oil, new gas, started right up rode for a couple hours and garaged it...the next day and it's been about 4 or 5 days goin, the damn thing won't start. Battery is good I've got power but it won't turn over. If it was litterally just running what could I be doin wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is my first bike and I'm trying to learn as I go along. Thanks!
There are three things a bike needs to start. Compression, spark, and fuel. The most common problem with bikes that won't start is that they have a dead or weak battery, or bad battery connections. Make sure you have the gas valve in the "on" position. Is your bike carburated? If it is, make sure the fuel petcock switch is on prime. If you hear a strong "click" when pushing the starter button, that means the safety switches are working and you could have a bad starter, or a bad ground on your starter. I'd recheck your battery first. It doesn't take much to drain the little buggers. They are not like a car battery. If you discover that it was a low battery problem, I'd recommend getting a "battery tender" for your bike. It's just a small charger that trickle charges your battery for you. That helps to make sure the bike is ready to go when you are! I hope this information helps a little. Good luck!
One last thing. I doubt it would be your problem since you say the bike had been running, but you never know. Make sure the exhaust is free and clear of any obstruction. I've seen a 600 stopped up full of corn from a mouse that forgot where he had put it! A blocked exhaust will cause your bike not to start too.

Old 04-14-2010, 07:49 PM
Thumbs up thanks for the help!

sorry about the late update i was on spring break.thanks for all the help guys i appreciate everything. it turns out the gas switch wasnt in the on postion ::noob:: ill get the hang of it eventually. thanks again for the posts.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Always the simple things, glad you got her running. We have all done it, we just dont tell anyone, now get out and ride brotha!