stalling while downshifting

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 07:18 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: stalling while downshifting

Damm you girls got off topic fast on that one.

Old 07-10-2006, 10:15 PM

I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY 06 AND IT WAS THE SERVO MOTOR ON THE THROTTLE BODIES THAT CONTROLS THE IDLE SPEED. THE SERVO WAS SHORTING OUT AND CAUSING IT TO IDLE FUNNY. TAKE IT TO YOUR DEALER, IT IS A WARRANTY ISSUE. HOPEFULLY STILL UNDER WARRANTY BECAUSE YOU CAN'T JUST REPLACE THE SERVO MOTOR. YOU HAVE TO REPLACE THE WHOLE SET OF THROTTLE BODIES.

Old 07-11-2006, 10:28 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

It is possible that with the mods, your bike is running lean at idle and is shutting down which is why its popping while downshifting also. Check all you vacuum lines to the TB's to make sure they are connected. Does your bike idle high at first then slow down or go up and down at idle? Try a different map too. Make sure you connected everything back after the PCIII installation.

I totally agree with NotStock on the brake braking istead of engine braking. That's what the brakes are for. You should use your brakes to slow the bike down and not using the engine. Most new riders us the engine to slow down. I learned to use the brakes instead of the engine to slow me down at the track and cut my laptimes down by a bunch by slowing the bike down with the brakes and doing all my downshifting just before entering a turn. This way, you aren't loading up your suspension so they can do their work. Also when you down shift using the engine, the revs are high and the throttles closed causing a lean condition which is why you get the lean misfire/ pop. The fuel mixture is too lean to combust in the combustion chamber and get exhausted in the hot exhaust. It's actually this unburned fuel igniting in the exhaust producing cool looking flame out the tailpipe.

Old 07-12-2006, 12:47 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: speedracer138
This way, you aren't loading up your suspension so they can do their work.
I think you have that bass ackwards. By downshifting to slow down, you are slowing the bike from the rear and the suspension stays linear. All bikes have twice the braking power up front than in the rear, so no matter how you brake the front forks are going to compress and it will nosedive. That's loading the suspension.

ORIGINAL: speedracer138
Also when you down shift using the engine, the revs are high and the throttles closed causing a lean condition which is why you get the lean misfire/ pop. The fuel mixture is too lean to combust in the combustion chamber and get exhausted in the hot exhaust. It's actually this unburned fuel igniting in the exhaust producing cool looking flame out the tailpipe.
Where exactly is this "lean condition" being caused? The fuel is shut off completely to the injectors when the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor)
is at zero and the rpms are above idle. All that's going through the engine is cold air from the intake which is compressed and pushed out the exhaust. It is not heated to anywhere near the temp of normal combustion and will actually cool off the engine/exhaust.
Oh yeah and the misfire/pop is from a RICH a/f mixture that is not being burnt completely not LEAN.

Old 07-12-2006, 02:32 AM
Super Moderator

Well I guess this thread should be changed to braking question / lean or rich!
Sorry tman hope you get your problem fixed and let us know what ended up being the problem.

Back off topic, engine braking is not needed and will unsettle your bike faster than any hard braking will ever do.
Example, on Sunday when we watch the Gods race when you see them entering a corner and just before they turn it in sometimes they get real squirrelly, Well that is from when they let out the clutch and are not quite at the optimal speed for the gear they have chosen, they needed just a little more braking, and now the engine is braking the bike. This is also called ridding it in hard and having big cazones.

Bottom line is the engine is not for braking and the brakes are. Correct corner entry which includes loading up the front suspension to its max is slowing with the brakes to the correct entry speed, selecting the correct gear and turn her in. What makes you faster is being able to do this in perfect harmony and keeping the bike right on that edge of control.

I wish I could do this with consistency, for now I just have those few perfect corners that a can relish in. But they sure are some sweet a$$ corners. lol

Old 07-12-2006, 04:47 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Notstock
Example, on Sunday when we watch the Gods race when you see them entering a corner and just before they turn it in sometimes they get real squirrelly, Well that is from when they let out the clutch and are not quite at the optimal speed for the gear they have chosen, they needed just a little more braking, and now the engine is braking the bike.
It's amazing that these "gods" of racing don't even have a slipper clutch. Something that has been in the racing scene for many years.
The professional racers get squirelly usually because they are coming too hot into a corner and are hard on the rear brakes, they don't wan't to load the front suspension harder then the rear so they get hard on the rear brakes and just eat up the tire instead of losing their line. Which will be thrown off by a quickly rebounding front suspension.
Then again that is just how Nicky Hayden describes using his dirt tracking experience in AMA and MotoGP.

Old 07-12-2006, 05:52 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: 05ZX6R

ORIGINAL: Notstock
Example, on Sunday when we watch the Gods race when you see them entering a corner and just before they turn it in sometimes they get real squirrelly, Well that is from when they let out the clutch and are not quite at the optimal speed for the gear they have chosen, they needed just a little more braking, and now the engine is braking the bike.
It's amazing that these "gods" of racing don't even have a slipper clutch. Something that has been in the racing scene for many years.
The professional racers get squirelly usually because they are coming too hot into a corner and are hard on the rear brakes, they don't wan't to load the front suspension harder then the rear so they get hard on the rear brakes and just eat up the tire instead of losing their line. Which will be thrown off by a quickly rebounding front suspension.
Then again that is just how Nicky Hayden describes using his dirt tracking experience in AMA and MotoGP.
Rear Brake Can't argue with such a superior rider. NOT [sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Old 07-12-2006, 06:15 AM

whats up guys! Loving the great debate on braking/ downshifting. Now me personally, I enter a corner doing a little of both. I found this aritcle to best describe what I mean. http://sportrider.com/ride/RSS/146_0...blip_throttle/
Hope this helps in the debate

Old 07-12-2006, 06:15 AM

oh by the way I found the problem with the stalling vaccum and exhaust leak.

Old 07-12-2006, 07:04 AM
Super Moderator

Cool glad you found the problem and you are fixed up. How did you get it figured out?

Nice article btw, kind of compliments both arguments. Different riding styles for different people. If you attend Codes super bike school you would hear what I am preaching and if you attend Class motorcycle school you will hear a different approach.
Well makes for some entertaining reading, I guess it’s safe to say that me and 05ZX6R can agree to disagree on this braking / engine braking debate.

Quick Reply: stalling while downshifting