Speedometer Error

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 05:51 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Speedometer Error

Hey Guys,

I was out riding today and I went by one of those radar gun trailers that shows your speed when you go by. So I went by it a couple of times on the bike to check the speedometer on the new bike.

Bike__________Radar
60____________53
70____________62
35____________29

It seems to be a pretty consistent 7 mph average slower than what the speedometer reads. This is on a completey stock 2005 ZX-6R.

Old 07-21-2006, 06:04 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Speedometer Error

You should dbl check, the equipment in those trailers are most likely the older guns and are not calibrated very often. Have one of your friends ride or drive behind you and check it. Bike speedo is notorious for being off.

Old 07-21-2006, 07:34 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

most bikes are usually off by as much as 10%

Old 07-21-2006, 03:08 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Notstock

You should dbl check, the equipment in those trailers are most likely the older guns and are not calibrated very often.
I actually fought a ticket in court after a cop saw my speed posted on one of them a while back and I tried to use the "was it calibrated correctly" line, and they had all the records. Those things are as up to date as a cops car radar gun.

I always knew that motorcycle speedometers read high. I just found it wierd that this bike was that far off. I tested my 91 zx-6 with a handheld GPS and it was 3-4 mph higher than actually speed. I will try it on the new bike asap.

Old 07-21-2006, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Notstock

You should dbl check, the equipment in those trailers are most likely the older guns and are not calibrated very often. Have one of your friends ride or drive behind you and check it. Bike speedo is notorious for being off.
I had to do the same thing NS suggested. I had a buddy drive side by side with me and read the speedometer on the car and compaired it to the bike. The Bike was off by 4-5 MPH. Seems to be the norm.

Old 07-22-2006, 04:17 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I was pretty disappointed to find my KLX250S speedometer was off by 10% which is 5 MPH at 50, 7 MPH, at 70, and so on. Pretty significant if you are trying not to get rear-ended by at least going the speed limit. Even more disappointing to find that it is not adjustable. Well, I took it apart and it _is_ adjustable, just not easily and it would take a good bit of trial and error. Basically you'd need to put a little less preload a little spiral spring that resists the spinning magnet that is attached to the odometer cable. That's with the old analog speedo on my bike - not sure what you have. If it's digital, it's probably easier to adjust. I think someone makes an in-line device that slows down or speeds up the pulses from your sensor to your speedo unit to correct for OEM speedometer errors, so that's a possibility for you if your speedo is digital. My solution was an aftermarket enduro computer - Trailtech Vapor which I just installed and calibrated. I'm now to within 1/10th of an MPH according to my GPS and now have lots more features including actual engine coolant temperature not just a warning light, as well as digital RPM readout, ambient air temp, clock, stopwatch, etc, etc.

Old 07-22-2006, 04:28 AM

www.speedohealer.com 40 min install dead on speedo.

Old 07-22-2006, 05:03 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

That's what I was thinking of, just couldn't remember the name, thanks.

Old 07-22-2006, 05:06 AM
Super Moderator

YTep I have one too, for my bike it was plug n play. Piece of cake!

Old 07-22-2006, 05:11 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

how much are the spedo healers, i dont speak or convert frence. or where do i buy one in the greater los angles area ?

Quick Reply: Speedometer Error