Someone Knocked My Bike Over....Won't Start, Help.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 09:27 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Someone Knocked My Bike Over....Won't Start, Help.

Oh by the way go to the dealer to get all your pricing on the repairs then go to e-bay and purchase all you stuff. That way you put money in your pocket for after market parts.

Old 04-26-2007, 12:23 AM

Newest update:

I calculated all the scratched and cracked parts and such and it came out to around $1400 (online deals). So I told the girl, and then told her I wouldn't file a report if she just gave me $900...I'd get the most important/visible parts and we'd call it even. She said she had to make some calls to see if she could get the money and she calls me back and says to just file a report and have her insurance pay for it.

So, filed a report...police came out and questioned us, charged her with improper backing...waiting to hear from my witness to get her with hit and run.

Now I plan on taking the bike to the local kawa dealer and probably find out they want some god awful number to fix it. I'm afraid if it's too much they'll just total the bike and give meNADA retail which is less than what I paid considering it's an older bike and they don't really take into consideration the mileage. With only 3500 miles, it's definetly worth more than the $2400 I paid. What do yall think will happen?

Old 04-26-2007, 01:14 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

They will probably total it. A 94 ZX6 isn't worth a lot. There is a Yellow 2001 sitting at the dealer near mefor $2200 and it's pretty clean. You can buy it back from the insurance company & fix it yur self for less. Just get an estimate from the dealer; don't have them fix anything. Make sure to get the estimate for getting it running too. As far as the bike not starting, I think the battery terminals are loose and or corroded. Get the battery checked/ charged & the terminalscleaned &tightened and try starting it again. When it ot knocked over, the terminals probaby lost contact and were probablyloose tobegin with.

Old 04-26-2007, 07:17 AM

ORIGINAL: speedracer138

They will probably total it. A 94 ZX6 isn't worth a lot. There is a Yellow 2001 sitting at the dealer near mefor $2200 and it's pretty clean. You can buy it back from the insurance company & fix it yur self for less.

It's impossible to find an '01 down here for that unless it has 35k miles and is totaled. This bike has less than 3600 miles on it. I'd be losing money if I bought it back from the insurance company being they'd probably give me less than what I paid for it, and I'd have a totaled title. If they do total it, and say they're going to give me less than I paid for it...do I have the option to back out and just keep it?

Can I simply sue the girl for the amount it would cost to fix it without the insurance company automatically totalling it?

Old 04-26-2007, 02:59 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

You can ask the insurance company to replace it with one in similar condition or give you fair market value. The Blue Book value will be lower. If they settle with you for the BB value, they will also offer you to buy the bike back for a couple of hundred bucks. Take their money and buy the bike back & fix it. In the meanwhile, get a cycle trader and see the market value of the same bike and get an average in your area. They will have to give you the Fair market value for replacement. You can always sue the girl in small claims court for the difference I guess or ask her to pay it and you'll drop the hit & run charges.

Old 04-26-2007, 05:42 PM

Here's my next question...

I just bought this bike and haven't even titled or registered it yet. Number one, do I have to do this before dealing with her insurance company (I hold the title, it just hasn't been transferred/processed). If they total this bike out, I'm assuming I would have to title and register it yet again when I bought it back? Can I just avoid registering it now and wait until they total it and I buy it back?

But meanwhile, I have no tag on it and am afraid to drive it all the way to the kawa dealer to get an estimate on damage.....

Old 04-26-2007, 07:46 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

As long as yo have all the documents, just wait to see what they say. To take it to the dealer, use a friends truck or something or have them pick it up. Is it running?

Old 04-26-2007, 08:07 PM

Nope not running, tried a new battery but it does the same thing. Makes a knocking noise on the first try. Clicks once with each try after that.

Update as far as the criminal case goes.... Now she's being charged with hit and run in addition to the improper backing charge. My witness came through!

Old 04-26-2007, 08:44 PM

Thank goodness for the witness!! Maybe I am just a su****ious person, but it almost sounds like the girl is gonna try and hose you on this accident. Your insurance shouldnot be involvedat all even if you had insurance to begin with. Didn't she at first say that it wasn't her, it washer cousing or something that wasdriving? Also, when you made her an offer, she should have taken it, but oh well, she probably thinks she is going to get out of this. Stay on top of things. I don't know if you have alternate transpo, but if not throw in the rentalcar fees too.

Old 04-26-2007, 08:59 PM

ORIGINAL: toad1025

Thank goodness for the witness!! Maybe I am just a su****ious person, but it almost sounds like the girl is gonna try and hose you on this accident. Your insurance shouldnot be involvedat all even if you had insurance to begin with. Didn't she at first say that it wasn't her, it washer cousing or something that wasdriving? Also, when you made her an offer, she should have taken it, but oh well, she probably thinks she is going to get out of this. Stay on top of things. I don't know if you have alternate transpo, but if not throw in the rentalcar fees too.
Yeah, I definetly think she's going to try to pull some strings. She did tell me it was her cousin driving at firs, somedifferent story....then when the cops were here, I overheard her telling thema different story.Something along the lines of she was driving and backing up and noticed the bike was over but didn't feel her car hit it, so she didn't know if it was her or not. Yeah right. Then she tried telling them the spot I was parked in was a handicap spot. They were like, no it's not. lol

I have no insurance on the bike seeing as how it was the first dayI had it. I haven't even titled or registerd it yet...and probably won'tnow until I figure out what's going on (if that's even legal).And luckily I do have acar as well.

I agree, she should have taken the $900 offer I threw out to herat first, I would have called it even. Now it looks like she's possibly going to court. I'm just pissed off because I know her insurance will total the bike seeing as how the cowling's damaged will probably cost more than half of what the bike is worthfromthe dealership.

Quick Reply: Someone Knocked My Bike Over....Won't Start, Help.