service/maintenance question

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 07:29 PM
Default service/maintenance question

Hello all,
been riding for a few months now and i absouletly love it. my bike has about 8750 miles on it. basically my question to all you experienced riders is what major things you stay on top of to keep your bike in tip top shape. im assuming its similar to a car: oil change, oil filter, air filter, stay up on fluid levels, and wear on brake pads and then some ; oil chain, watch wear on sprockets. is there anything major i may not be thinking of? do you guys do most of your own work or take it to a shop or mechanic for anything specific?? im new to motorcycles and all, after looking at my manual i realized i shouldve serviced at 7500 miles ( did an oil change at 6000 miles when i first got the bike). basically what key factors keep your bike running strong and well. i love my bike and wish for it to live as long as possible. TIA

Old 07-14-2010, 11:25 PM
1st Gear Member

I do all my work myself, I dont trust many mechanics and I cant afford them. When I got my bike I knew a stunna who rebuilds them from the ground up and I paid him a little bit to look over my shoulder and make sure I didnt screw up. Sounds like you pretty much have a good idea on what to do, just make sure you stay on top of it, oil your chain every other tank and keep it clean, otherwise regular maintenance and oversight and proper winterization when the time comes should keep you riding.

Lets see some pics!

Old 07-15-2010, 12:51 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

All things listed sound like what the manual recommends, and you have that as well. Nice job.

I like to check the valves before the recommended mileage listed in the book (break in shows up with different numbers on every bike, so I like to adjust early then shoot towards the recommended mileage) but sounds like you are on top of things.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by Dragone#19
I like to check the valves before the recommended mileage listed in the book (break in shows up with different numbers on every bike, so I like to adjust early then shoot towards the recommended mileage) but sounds like you are on top of things.
can you educate me on this a litttle bit?, perhaps a link that will show me how to do so on my own. sorry i know i should search and i will this weekend but i dont always have a lot of spare time to search the forums as i used to for my car due to a new job.
i forgot to mention spark plugs and heard they were a b*tch to do, is this true? thanks again you guys im working on some photos. the ones i have for now are just what i sent my insurance company so there nothing special but i will take some good ones soon as i get the chance. i have some friends that are avid photographers. just need to think of a good spot to do so

so decided not to be lazy heres what my beast looks like except i recently painted over the ninja symbols i dont like decals on my vehicles
Name:  IMG00126-20100324-0816.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  73.6 KB
Name:  IMG00124-20100324-0815.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  103.0 KB

Old 07-16-2010, 07:35 AM
1st Gear Member

Nice, I dont know about painting over the decals, its easy to mess that up, but if your good with paint more power to ya. If they arent cleared on you could get them off pretty easy.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:08 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

can you educate me on this a litttle bit?, perhaps a link that will show me how to do so on my own. sorry i know i should search and i will this weekend but i dont always have a lot of spare time to search the forums as i used to for my car due to a new job.
Your lack of time, then do not even mess with your first adjustment. Your first attemp may take up your weekend since you have no tools, and this being the first attempt.

hmm on the rim tape and a green seat. Glad that you like it though.