Red Light changers/ triggers

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 10:51 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default Red Light changers/ triggers

Has anyone tried the little Red Light Triggers/ changers to make the light turn green. I have seen the little magnet sticks sold on ebay and other sources but wanted to know if they work. Evil an I were talking about this a while back and he was going to try his tankbag magnets. Well, Evil, did they work? I ordered some magnets but haven't gotten around to putting them on yet. I will get off my A$$ and try them out tomorrow on the way to the Blue Goose in Addison. I'll let you all know if it works or not, or if I am the new owner of some powerful and useless magnets. Maybe new toys formy kids; we'll see.

Old 07-11-2006, 04:23 PM
Default RE: Red Light changers/ triggers

Don't know about the magnets but I know if you find yourself in the UK and get stuck you can just flash your highbeams five or six times and the lights will change.

Old 07-11-2006, 06:19 PM
1st Gear Member

I thought the magnet was in the sensor, and the strip you buy for your bike was just some highly magnetic metal (iron). I figured a few seconds longer at the light is worth a few pounds lighter of a bike.
But I'm prolly backwards. And if you do put the magnets on your bike, then I might give it a try too. Because I all ready have some big pieces of magnets laying around.

Old 07-11-2006, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator

My friend is a cal trans electrician and he installs and maintains traffic light systems, he had told me that all the magnets will do is help the bike be recognized at the stubborn or weak sensors. We all have been on those left turn lanes and we never get the arrow until a cage rolls up behind us.

He says there is nothing you can do to speed up the process, says it is a just a trigger and will depend what triggers have already been tripped and the time of night. Late night early morning the system is sped up due to the usual lack of traffic.

Save your money, or send it to me and I will mail you some cool magnets to play with. lol

Old 07-12-2006, 10:04 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

NotStock, that's all I'm after; Is to be recognized! By the light too! LOL! I did ride the bike tonight with the magnet installed and it worked on one light. I'll have to try the problem light by the house. Also, not just any magnet will work as I've tried tried that already. It has to be one of those rare earth Neodymium Magnets. The ones I have are about 1/4" x 1/8" x 2" long. I have some extras that I bought. Let me verify if they work and I'll update soon.

Old 07-12-2006, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator

Wounder if just placing some metal tape on the bottom of your lower, on the inside, would work. Sure would be a weight saver over the magnets.

Old 07-12-2006, 07:30 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I don't think metal tape has enough iron for magnetic attraction force to be picked up by the sensors. Plus I haven't seen any metal tape with iron/ steel in it, only aluminum or copper. The magnets I have weigh less than an ounce; about the weight of a nickel. Almost all the parts on our bikes are some kind of alloy and with plastic covering any of the steel, unlike cars which have a lot of steel/ iron and they also sit lower to the road sensors. Usually if I am the only one (on my bike) at a left turn light, I don't get the green arrow. On my car I always get the arrow. There a light by my work that never gives the LH arrow or the green light unless theres a car there waiting. It changes as soon as a car shows up but I could be sitting there for hours if I waited for a light. In those places & instances, I run the light after waiting my fair share of time (one light change).

Old 07-24-2006, 10:23 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Notstock, find out from your buddy what it'll take for the sensors to recognize our bikes. I was stuck a red light thru 3 cycles and finally had to wave the car behind me to get closer before the light changed. I think that you have to be right above the sensors and that's the spot with the most OIL leaked from cars; right in the middle at the stoplights. I might have to stick one of the magnets on the bottom of my shoe and pass it over the sensor. I did get it to work at one light though. It didn't have as much oil so I could get closer to the sensor.

Old 07-24-2006, 11:48 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

ohh yeah i did do the experament. nothing. i tried putting the tank bag magnets in my shoes and standing in the turn lane at 258am and nothing. jumped in my car and did a quick illegal u turn back into the turn lane and about 6 seconds it changed. did i tell you i was going to do that with the tank bag magnets ? i didnt think i told anyone.

Old 07-24-2006, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

Its all about metal surface for the road sensors to read. They can sometimes be out of calibration and you can call cal-trans or your local city to request it to be recalibrated bit that is like trying to get hold of the IRS and just as friendly.

Just do what I do, make sure it is safe and look out for pigs and roll on.

Quick Reply: Red Light changers/ triggers