Rattling noise not sure the cause

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 04:27 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Rattling noise not sure the cause

I have a 2002 ninja zx6r, and i when i have the bike idling there is no rattling noise but when i hit about 3 thousand rpms the noise starts and kind of goes away as it revs higher. It seems to be louder when i am riding compared to when idle. Is it possible that its just the springs on my exhaust system or something more serious. Also what else on the bike could be making a rattling noise similar to this if it is not the exhaust system. Any help is greatly appreciated. thanks guys

Old 06-16-2009, 04:44 AM

Could a screw or anything small have fallen in or around the case. There is a lot of crevices that could hold a bolt. Thats what happened to me and I get the same rattling noise. Check around the bike and see if there is any empty screw holes.

Old 06-16-2009, 05:03 AM
1st Gear Member

alright thanks i will be sure to ckeck that out any other suggestions are appreciated thanks

Old 06-16-2009, 05:11 AM
1st Gear Member

where exactly is the rattling noise coming from??? are you off the bike revving it???

Old 06-16-2009, 05:36 AM
1st Gear Member

thats what i cant figure out is exactly where it sounds like the slip on and yea im off the bike revving it when im tryin to find out where it is but u can here while ur on it, where all up front should i look for missing or loose bolts, is there any way to silence the springs on the exhaust if thats what it is which im not sure if thats it though

Old 06-16-2009, 05:39 AM
1st Gear Member

the springs should be under enough tension where they wouldn't rattle...some springs have a slip cover that goes over them...

Old 06-16-2009, 05:42 AM
1st Gear Member

alright yeah it must not be the springs then these dont have a cover so idk what to do really if i cant find any bolts loose probably just end up takin it to a shop see if they can figure it out thank a lot for the help im a noob at all this if u couldnt tell haha

Old 06-16-2009, 05:56 AM
1st Gear Member

I would just check everything from nose to tail...hell it could be your licese plate...if you can't find it just take her in...

Old 06-16-2009, 07:36 AM

Have you taken any piece of the bike apart? Maybe like a fairing bolt or part of the light fixtures? If something fell off the light fixture than it probably fell into the nose of the bike, so check that.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:07 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

The same "resonance/rattle" occurs on the zx10r's as well in that rpm range. Most people have found the ignition causing the noise where the rivets hold the ignition in place. Not sure if that is the case here though. But it is not detrimental to the ride.

edit: Push down on the ignition key lightly during that rpm range and see if the noise goes away.

Last edited by Dragone#19; 06-16-2009 at 09:11 AM.

Quick Reply: Rattling noise not sure the cause