questions about changing oil

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 03:09 PM
1st Gear Member
Default questions about changing oil

there is no write up for it in the do it yourself section so i was wondering if someone could post it here, i have an '06 zx-6r. i have looked the bike over and i can see where you drain the oil, where the oil filter is located. i have general questions though like do you need to take of the plastics to remove the oil filter, what kind of oil filter to use, what kind of oil to use (i want to go synthetic), and how much to add to the bike after you have drained the oil and removed the old filter, and how often is it recommended to change the oil. Any write up would help.

Old 07-01-2007, 03:25 PM
Default RE: questions about changing oil

My bike is signifigantly older then yours so I cannot answer all your questions.. But. I always remove the plastics, it is a perfect opportunity to check the bike over for leaks ect... My zx-6r takes approx 4.5 quarts of oil. I use KAW oil from the dealer. When I had my CBR600F4i I would leave the plastics on cause it was a 2005.. But due to the age of my bike I like to remove the plastics....

Old 07-01-2007, 05:07 PM
1st Gear Member

I take off both sides of the LOWEST part of the fairings
Drain the oil & remove the filter
I use a basic filter bought at any bike shop & depending on your mileage you can choose synthetic or standard
Put the filter & plug back in (this is a very important step)
3.5-4 quarts is a general number however where you fill the oil in to the motor, look below on the cover & you'll see a round clear object with 2 lines on it. Being careful & holding the brake w/ your right hand, grab ahold of the bike & lean it SLOWLY towards you. Once you've got the oil between the 2 fill lines, you're set. Make sure nothing is leaking & put it all back together.

Well, that's basically what I do. It is 10:06am & I did just wake up, so hopefully I didn't skip anything. Oh yeah, always properly recycling your old oil!!!

Old 07-01-2007, 09:42 PM

i use shell rotella t synthetic
change my oil once a year, need 3.6L so 1 big jug will be good
filter PL14610, get it at pep boys

Old 07-01-2007, 10:36 PM

Doh.. I meant 3.5 quarts but I always have to buy 4 because the gallon isn't available at my dealer..lol...

Old 07-01-2007, 11:45 PM
1st Gear Member

ive read a couple of guys post saying synthetic is better because it helps your bike run quieter and protects better than convensional, my mechanic only takes the lower fairings off. my last oil change i went with a standard oil & filter, but my next i will be using K&N. as for the oil i think im gonna go repsol 10W40

Old 07-02-2007, 02:20 AM
1st Gear Member

i am runnin Castrol fully synthetic motorcycle oil, 10.00 a quart and a K&N oil filter, i like the k&n oil filter bc it comes with a nut so u can use a socket wrench to easliy take it on or off, i usually change my oil evry 500 miles when i am dragracing or 2,000 miles when i am just street rideing

Old 07-02-2007, 02:51 AM

Here are some good reads on filters and oil.

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.html

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Fil...tml#OilFilters

Based on test results if you the best motorcycle oil you will need to run amsoil.

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2156.pdf

As for things to look out for.

Do not over tighten the drain plug as they strip easy. Do not under tighten the oil filter as they can come loose.

Make sure the oil o rings comes off with the oil filter or you will have the double ring leak and flood.

Make sure to oil the o ring before installing the new filter.

As for oil level go by the sight glass not how much is says in the manual as you can't compensate to how much previous oil is still in the system. Keep in mind after the bikes sits overnight will be your most accurate reading as the oil has a Chance to settle.

Do not over fill the oil by not waiting long enough for the oil to settle before you take a sight glass reading.

Never change you oil and not replace the filter. It's like taking a **** and not wiping your ***.

Old 07-02-2007, 05:56 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

This is not really a write up. I remove the left lower, warm the ride up then drain the oil. Snip the safety wire off of the K&N and use the handy socket wrench and extension and off goes the filter. Prime the new filter and gasket and replace (safety wired again). Replace drain plug (safety wired again) and fill with fluid. (I use Amsoil) Replace the lower left fairing.

Old 07-02-2007, 05:59 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I know an endurance race team that used Repsol but still blew 2 engines. Can't say if it was the oil or some other factor but they are going to try a different brand. I recommended Motul Full Syntheticto them.

Quick Reply: questions about changing oil