PROPER ENGINE CUT OFF

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 07:04 AM
Default PROPER ENGINE CUT OFF

Hi Everybody - First question here - been readin for some time now , tons of great info!! Well I finally picked her up Friday night (06 zx-6r). I'm wonderin what everybody recomends as far as engine shut off goes - I'm not real familiar with EFI bikes so I was wonderin if you should use the engine kill or just turn the key off - I think the manual stated "use the key" , not sure (read the whole thing the first night - eyes got a bit fuzzy). The salesmen told me to hit the kill switch. Not sure who the correct one is - anyway thanx in advance.
Dave

Old 04-24-2006, 07:13 AM
Default RE: PROPER ENGINE CUT OFF

doesnt matter.

Old 04-24-2006, 10:58 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

use the key, that way when you put the key in and turn it, it will turn on and you wont look like a J.A. trying to figure out why your bike is dead.

Old 04-24-2006, 11:11 AM
1st Gear Member

yep....

Old 04-25-2006, 06:01 AM

Cool - thanx for the replys - It didn't seem to make much sense to have a two step turn off procedure - hit kill and then turn ket to off - but the damn salesmen was adament about it. thanx again

Old 04-25-2006, 06:55 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Just goes to show, your salesman doesn't ride!!

Old 04-25-2006, 08:34 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

no chit huh, he probley knew more about that kill switch then any other bike in the building.

ok ill give him a little credit, he knows the gas goes in that thing right there somewhere.

Old 04-25-2006, 08:38 AM
1st Gear Member

as far as im concerned...the kill switch is useless.

Old 04-25-2006, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

There'a kill switch on there?? lol

Ask your salesman for some pnuematic fluid and see how long it takes him to get it!! lol

Old 04-25-2006, 10:05 AM

I really hate to side with the salesman on this one... especially with him being so unpopular in this thread... but there are circumstances where the kill switch is useful.

One, if you (or someone else) has wrecked, but the engine is still running for some reason and you want to turn it off in a hurry.

Two, when you turn your engine off, it actually continues to get HOTTER due to heat soak. You no longer have good airflow or oil circulation. If your engine was running cool to begin with, no harm no foul, but if it was running anywhere near the upper end of its operating range, it may just go up and over, with no way to cool down except wait.

This is why in your manual it says you should leave your key in and ON for a while after shutting your engine off, so that the fan can kick in if need be. I know mine has done it before because I'm usually idling through the little streets that lead up to my house and it can get pretty warm on a hot day.

Now, it doesn't matter if you kill the engine with your key then turn it back ON, or if you use the kill switch, but I usually just use the kill switch as it's right there and handy... Of course, I always just blip it on and off, so I don't look like an **** trying to figure out why my bike won't start next time.

Oh yeah, and number Three... Go flip it on your buddies bike while it's parked in his garage, and he'll look like an **** trying to figure out why his bike won't start next time. Always good for a laugh.

Quick Reply: PROPER ENGINE CUT OFF