problem with clutch up wheelies

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 12:47 AM
Default problem with clutch up wheelies

all the way home today i couldnt get my bike up for the life of me. i have been doing alot of clutch up wheelies in second gear and now i pull it in rev it high and pop it out and it just lurches forward and stays down. anyone have this problem? i can stand up and power it up but its alot more dangerous and im not totally comfortable doing it all the time, so i like to pop it up from time to time by clutching it and staying seated.(and i can get it high up) it was depressing, all the way home, not one wheelie. im wondering if my clutch is wearing or the chain is wearing or what. i adjusted my clutch play and im going back out in a while to try it out, but im really worrried about it. when i want to get it up i want to get it up.

Old 09-14-2006, 01:10 AM
Default RE: problem with clutch up wheelies

I think all us men can agree with you there, when its time to pop one up you just expect things to be working

Old 09-14-2006, 05:23 AM

ok i went out and watched my tach this time when i popped it, and my rev limiter is kicking in at 14000rpms and the bike automatically goes back down in rpms so when i pop it, its too low of an rpm and it lurches forward instead of going up. so does anyone have any experience with the rev limiter? can it be removed? is there anything i can do about it?

Old 09-14-2006, 05:30 AM

and shouldnt the rev limiter just keep it from going above a certain rpm? why is the bike going back down in rpms? it hits 14 grand and then goes back down to say 7,0000.. does everyone elses bike do this? ive never noticed it before, can someone try pulling in their clutch for me and hold the throttle wide open and tell me if your bike does the same thing??

Old 09-14-2006, 07:08 AM

Nope.

Old 09-14-2006, 07:28 AM

lol *****

Old 09-14-2006, 08:53 AM
1st Gear Member

come on! I can make my 250 wheelie! LOL Sure your clutch isn't slipping?

Old 09-14-2006, 07:42 PM

it could be i dont know. the way it hits 14000 and then goes back down is weird though. i cant tell if thats normal or not.

Old 09-14-2006, 10:53 PM

Sounds to me like your clutch is slipping. Clutch wheelies put tremendous heat and strain on the friction plates. That heat and strain will wear them down and most likely in your case, glaze them. Once this happens, it just won't have the gripping power it used to (ie, won't let you wheelie). There are a few things you can do and a few you shouldn't. You 'could' see about getting the clutch adjustments checked to see if that will fix your problem. You 'could' also get new friction plates, but that's rather expensive and kinda pointless unless wheelies are just that important to you. What you shouldn't do is attempt any more clutch wheelies until the problem is fixed. Everytime you try it, you're producing extreme amounts of heat. Oh, and one other thing you could do, is just simply change the oil. That much heat and friction might have comprimised the viscosity, so changing it may fix the problem (couldn't hurt it anyways). That's my thoughts on it.

Old 09-14-2006, 11:56 PM

i have another sugestion... try not to wheelie with clutch to preserve it. Just do it hitting the gas. For example i always wheelie in 1st. When around 7000 pull the gas and the bike goes up.even so the clutch wears out , but not as fast

Quick Reply: problem with clutch up wheelies