Power Commander with Slip on??

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 05:51 AM
Default Power Commander with Slip on??

I'm finally up grading to a slip on Yoshimura exhaust but am thinking about buying a power commander from a friend for $150 for my 06 Kawasaki 636. GREAT DEAL! Other wise I wouldn't worry about getting one right now.

Is it worth it to install the after market exhaust with a power commander? Common sense tells me it won't make that much of a difference since its only a slip on, but hey ... why not at ask the question. What are the benefits/drawbacks of putting it on?

Let me know what y ou guys think.

Old 01-06-2006, 06:26 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Power Commander with Slip on??

Others may answer this better, by thus I mean people that actually have a PC, but I will anyway.

The pc requires you to load a map, so as to tell your bike how to act with the new addition of say an exhaust system. You will need to obtain the correct map for your bike and the new pipe.

If not the pc could be running your bike to rich or worse to lean.

You could always have a tuner make you a custom map. Most cost about 300.00 bucks and the pc would be loaded with a map that is allowing her to run to its max performance through out the entire power band. I like that option the best.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-06-2006, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator

hey bro, but with some pipes like the scorpion, they say you don't need a pc.... but it's alway best to go with one anyway?

Old 01-06-2006, 02:37 PM
1st Gear Member

I have the Yoshi but I also have a K&N air filter so I went ahead and bought a PC.

Old 01-06-2006, 04:11 PM

most slip ons that i looked into dont need a PC. A good thing for you to do is just go to www.powercommander.com and see if the have a specific map for your exhaust. That is a good indicator to see if there was a demand for it. My 2bros map was out before the 2bros exhaust was even sold. lol But even with that 056r has the 2bros (same as me) and he runs his wihtout the PC and it seems to be fine. I run mine with the PC and noticed a little diffence in the smoothness of the throttle and alittle more punch. The throttle smoothness is well worth it though. IMO I also have a K&N.

Just a ? your buddy who is selling it, did it come off of a 05/06 636? Cause if it didnt then the wiring harnass probably wont work on your bike.

O by the way when 056r gets his PC were are both getting custom maps made up. More on that in the spring.

Old 01-06-2006, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator

thanks for the tip bro...

Old 01-06-2006, 11:52 PM

My opinon is different. For every change done to the engine, the fuel mixture must be also changed to get the total benifits of the change. If an exhaust system and even an high flow air filter is added, the engine will run leaner. When I put on the Akrapovic slip-on there was a loss to the low end power (mainly from the removal of the exhaust flow valve), now when the PCIII was added, most of the low end was recovered (I say most because the exhaust valve does work well). Now if the PCIII made no difference, than why does the bike run better? Also, I have played with PCIII quite abit on my other bikes and most stock maps that come with the bike are lean in some area's and rich in others. I have downloaded the stock map for the PCIII (for the stock bike) and if the bike was perfectly mapped stock, there would be 0's across the whole board and I can tell you it is not.

So, if you want the best performance from your machine (which most of us want), go with the PCIII for your stock or modified bike.

Mike

Old 01-07-2006, 02:21 AM

Now i dont mean that it doesnt make a "difference", i was simply stating that the slipons i looked at dont "change" the air/fuel mixture enoughto require a PC.(i personally would and have put one on) I was just letting him know that he didnt have to. I have PC/chips in everything that i drive. But if you dont have the $$$ to do it then you dont really have to have one is what im saying. When i say that the slipons dont need a PC, thats not my opinion, thats what the manuf. says, not me. I mean hell for what it matters i could say that you downloading a map doesnt really do anything cause you could do your mods then take "your bike" to a dyno to get a "custom map" . Then you would have "the performance from your machine(which most of us want). Its all in what you can afford. $$$ talks!!!

My final thoughs are still, if you have the $$$ and the PC is made for your bike then get it.(yes you will see some positive improvements)(the big gains will only show up on a dyno, not in everyday riding)

If you cant spend the $$ then dont, your bike will run just fine.(yes a little lean, but fine, as per the manf.)

If you change the air filter and exhaust and u notice the bike backfiring, then i would save up for a PC most deffinetly.

Old 01-07-2006, 02:59 AM
Super Moderator

JMO on greenteams post, your right about the need of the pc with the removal of the butter fly valve but I do not see how the pc could help with the lose of compression which leads to the lose of the low and mid range.

Old 01-07-2006, 03:24 AM
1st Gear Member

the stock factory ECU on you bike is perfectly capable of compensating for a slipon exhaust. but if you decide to change the air filter as well you'll need a PCIII. As Gotrice said i have the 2bros slipon with no PC and it still runs great.

Quick Reply: Power Commander with Slip on??