Power Commander

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 04:40 PM
Default Power Commander

I've read several posts in here about adding a PC if you have installed a slipon. It seems like it's about 50/50 on wether or not to do it. I went to two different shops and ask and one said yes and other said no. Both had technical arguments to back up their point. For me it would cost around $400 and if it is not necessary I don't want to do it. The only performance issue I have noticed is a small back fire or pop when I roll off the throttle at higher rpms. One shop said that it shouldn't do that and it is running too lean. The other shop said that was normal and most bikes of this caliber do that. My last ninja did not. However it was a 1992 and a lot has changed since then. My bike runs like a bat outta hell and I don't want to change something just because. Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks.

Old 03-01-2006, 05:49 PM
Default RE: Power Commander

well first off your 92 ninja wasnt fuel injected so u really cant compare it to your new bike. As for the pc, i say u really dont need it, but on the other hand i have one. lol i am also looking into spending the cash for a custom map here real soon. As for u spending $400 dollars u are getting ripped off. I dont really know what bike u have but since u posted it in this forum and u are looking at a pc u have a 03 or up bike.

all in all i would get a pc if u have the cash, if not u should be fine.

questions;

what bike u have?
where were u looking at a pc for your bike?

Old 03-01-2006, 05:50 PM

ok i just saw your avator, so u have an 06 636

Old 03-01-2006, 05:51 PM

http://hardracing.com/03-04%20Bikes/05ZX636.htm here is a link for a pc for $285 and u can install it your self in about 45min plug-n-play

Old 03-01-2006, 08:02 PM

Thanks for the link. I don't really get the mapping. Is that in the sofware or something else? I'm a little tentative when changing the factory sittings. I don't like to tweak on my bike to see how perfect I can get it. First, I don't have the skill and second I'm not sure I would notice the difference unless I totally screwed it up and couldn't get it back. I hardly work on my own stuff anymore other than routine maintenance. My price involved my shop doing it for me. I don't have the damn patience to work on these things. I had an older Kawi jet ski that I took apart and rebuilt from the bottom up. I added some hp parts like a new head, ignition system, exhaust, ect. It fired up and ran awesome for a short time and then every freakin weekend I was fixing something or adjusting something. Some guys get off on that stuff. I'd rather be riding. I guess what I'm saying is I'm not completely illiterate when it comes to my toys but I don't want to have to be constantly changing something to make it right. So having said all that am I over reacting to what is involved with the pc or should I stay put with what I have? I could spend the 400 bones on some poser bling.......

Old 03-01-2006, 08:55 PM

let's see...

1. my bike backfired before i got the pc. this is what happens...your bike is running rich in the lower rpms and is running lean on the top end. when you back off the throttle, your bike is dumping unburned fuel into your exhaust and it's igniting. this means you have lost horse power.

2. the "back firing" is not bad, persay...but running in a lean condition for an extended period of time is not good for your engine. if you don't ride in the upper rpm ranges a lot and just get on it once and a while, you might be okay...you can make the decision on that one.

3. $400 isn't bad if they are going to dyno tune it for you, but it shouldn't cost anymore than one hour labor (should be way less though for an experienced mechanic).

4. the "map" is simply the air/fuel mixture for different rpm ranges. and installing/loading them by yourself is really not a big deal, but i understand why you would want someone else to do it.

5. don't worry about "screwing up" your bike. you are not changing your factory settings, you are in a sense adding to them. if you unplug your pc, you go right back to stock. that's why i like pc's, cause you don't trick your bike's computer...you are simply extending it's abilities.

fwew...i hope this helps. all in all, you will get different opinions from everyone you ask. if it's in your budget, do it. will it be better for your bike, definitely. do you NEED to do it, probably not but remember what i said about running lean. anyway, good luck with whatever you do!

Old 03-01-2006, 08:57 PM

with that said, u can get along just fine with out it.

as for the mapping, it is a "software" that u down load from www.powercommander.com and just transver to your pc. or u can get it dyno tunned.

But sounds like you would be better off with cosmetic stuff, so do that. Me, i like both hp mods and cosmetic stuff lol If you are really looking for a cheap performance mod, do the -1 +2 gear change. (smaller sprocket up front bigger in rear) total cost should be around $150-250 installed and u will notice the change. either way just keep us posted on what u do and put up some pics

Old 03-01-2006, 10:26 PM

That is some great advise from all. One thing you mentioned was dyno tune vs software for mapping. Is one just as good as the other. And does have to be changed depending the environment your in. I will be taking a week long trip around Angel Fire New Mexico to ride the northern part of New Mexico and the southern part of Colorado. I will be taking day trips based out of Angel Fire. I live in St Louis. Will the mapping need to be altered for this trip? Will I need to have someone dyno tune it or can I just grab a download from the internet? How much effect will it have on my bike if I don't ever change the mapping and I'm riding in a different climate than where it was originally tuned? I'm not all against performance. That's why I ride a sport class motorcycle and I own the fastest production jet ski on the market. The one thing I like about my ski is very few skiis I encounter can stay with me and I haven't changed one thing. I know I could add an exhaust and other things to make it even better but this thing is rock solid. I never have to work on it. I just ride it and keep it clean and it has never let me down. The only reason I added a slipon to my bike was the sound. The cosmetic stuff is just that. I'm ridiculously loyal to my shop too and they don't have a dyno. I found another shop to do it but feel weird about it....

Old 03-01-2006, 10:37 PM

with the downloaded mapp u supposally reach a peak of 85-90% efficency of your engine. a dyno tuned mapp with elevation ,mods and everything factered in is supposed to be like 95-100% efficent.(i cant spell lol) this is just from what i read. u can get this info from www.powercommander.com that is were i read it. the % may be off a little, this is just from memory, but i hope this give u an idea.

yes elevation is a factor, but i dont know how much.

My brain has been officially picked on this topic, i am now useless. lol

i would email powercommander with any questions u have.

i have to go take a nap now [8D]

Old 03-01-2006, 10:42 PM

LOL! Thanks, I appreciate your input......

Quick Reply: Power Commander