popping / clicking noise from the front

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 06:09 AM
Default popping / clicking noise from the front

i have an 06 636 with about 8 grand on it. i am recently hearing a popping/clicking noise from the front, its noticeable when i am standing with feet on the ground and i keep the front brake on and push up and down on the forks.. it makes like a clicking sound, and now im hearing it when im riding, when i start off from a stop. anyone else have this problem or hear this sound? its starting to **** me off. from what i can tell i cant see anything rubbing or even get a good feel for where its coming from. any feedback or experience with this would be great. thanks in advance.

Old 08-06-2006, 07:01 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: popping / clicking noise from the front

Only thing I could say is check all your fastners.... Maybe somthing is loose or your pads are shifting in the caliper...

Old 08-06-2006, 12:11 PM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

hows your cables wearing under the top tree ? it could be in the forks itself, any binding upon compression ?

Old 08-06-2006, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

Check your steering nut and tighten it!

Old 08-06-2006, 07:36 PM

yeah the steering nut was loose at one point so i tightened it, but there is wear on the clutch cable.. the rubber around it where it sits but i think that must be normal because of its location and the fact there is rubber around that location of the cable? i notice the sound when i turn the bike all the way right, or all the way left, almost like it might have something to do with the steering lock? its like a click, and sometimes a pop. its weird.. it was intermittent for a while and now it seems to be pretty regular, if nobody else has this problem im guessing i should probably take it in. thanks for the feedback. maybe i tightened the steering nut too tight, and its making it bind somehow? i dont know..

Old 08-07-2006, 02:02 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

i would throw it up on stands and pull the top tree off and do a bearing inspection. couldnt hurt.

Old 08-22-2006, 05:33 PM

mynes was doing the same thing i think but it was more like the bearings (so i thought) had them replaced and but they appeard to be fine, new bearings popping stopped and about 100 or so miles later it started again

Old 08-22-2006, 06:51 PM

i havent had mine checked yet cause im a lazy bastard, but i come out to my bike to start it and get going and the front wheel is locked sometimes. i have to give it a little push to break it loose, almost like the brake pad is stuck or something. i think that might have something to do with it. im having new pads put on and stainless lines soon so maybe it will correct the problem. im going to have them look at it and see if they can tell about the pop. an 06 bike shouldnt need new bearings. im glad to see im not the only one with the mysterious front end click pop. do you do stoppies at all? cause i do from time to time and that might have caused it.

Old 08-23-2006, 12:32 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

It's probably something hitting the fender or fairing with the suspension travel. Double check your caliper & fender bolts like lemac said. Have someone listen or watch the bike as you push up & down on it to cuse the noise to start.

Old 08-23-2006, 12:37 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

and when you put on aftermarket lines, the cross over line in the front will hit the underside of the top fairing and make the line compress and the little plastic loop clips that route the line click so be forwarned.

Quick Reply: popping / clicking noise from the front