PAINT VS. LINEX

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 05:14 AM
1st Gear Member
Default PAINT VS. LINEX

WELL I JUST GOT MY BikE NAKED ('05 ZZR600 SAME AS '02-OLDER ZX-6R) AND I'M IN THE PROCESS OF DECIDING WHETHER I SHOULD GET IT REPAINTED OR HAVE LINE X COVER THE PLASTICS AND TANK. I'VE LOOKED INTO IT AND THE GUYS THAT DO IT SAID THEY CAN PUTANY DESIGN OR COLOR COMBOS THAT I WOULD WANT I THINKBUTI WILL MISS THAT GORGEOUS BLUE SHINE THAT I HAVE AFTER A WASH. Sorry bout that caps, just relized. And I thought i would see if there are any thoughts. Just FYI I have to get it painted b/c last fall I was parked on cobble stone and as I stood next to it I saw it fall over in slow motion as i reached out for it... sorry had to get the tears out of my eyes.SoI have to do some body work if itIpaint it but I can do that myself and a friend of mine will paint it for the cost of paint which make the two about the same price. I shouldn't have to do any body work if I lineX it. Here's a link to some of theodd stuff they've done http://www.linexpics.com/gallery_view.php?ID=34. I don't think I'd do allblack and the lineX guy said white or light colors wouldn't work very well.
ON a side note apon dismantaling I found that two of my head light brackets are brooken so if anyone has the headlights or knows where to get one @ a decent pricethat would be appriciated. THX

So whata y'all think?

Old 03-12-2008, 05:18 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: PAINT VS. LINEX

naw man paint all the way, i think it looks really tacky when someone bedlines a whole vehical, looks ,,,ahh cant say lol

Old 03-12-2008, 05:55 AM
1st Gear Member

+1

the only way i could see line-x looking good is if you were to turn it into a total streetfighter/hulligan bike. line-x is really hard to clean too. i've got it in my truck bed and had a can of spray paint accidentally go off in the bed and i gave up on trying to get all the paint from the bed. too dimply. tough as nails though!

might look good on a dirtbike too.

properly applied new paint is just sooo **** on!

Old 03-12-2008, 02:52 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Linex has no place (well, maybe only the tankfor stunters & racersfor grip)on a bike IMO! I'd rather cover the whole bike in stickers & Graphics firstthan that crap!

Old 03-12-2008, 03:00 PM
1st Gear Member

then you don't have any appreciation for the strength and abrassion resistance of polyurethane coatings - being engineering minded i really apreciate the idea.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for checking ineverybody and just an FYI the place that I'd have the lineX done at said that I could get any finish I'd want. keep the opinions coming THEY ALL HELP AND ARE WELCOME!!!

Old 03-12-2008, 08:53 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

ive seen a lineX bike in person and it looks cool and i tapped on the plastic and it sounded more solid then just regular plastic alone. But in the end it's what ever makes you happy bro.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:22 PM

i've got linex on my truck rocker panels. here's a link
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2610668
tough as nails, yea, but i wouldn't put it on my bike.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:39 PM

ORIGINAL: Kohburn

then you don't have any appreciation for the strength and abrassion resistance of polyurethane coatings - being engineering minded i really apreciate the idea.
How fast can i low side a bike before the it wears through?? is there a formulato calculate? Local track is pretty small, maybe 100km/h max corner speed

Old 03-13-2008, 03:00 AM
1st Gear Member

I do have a tank pad so that would be a problem but when I went into the LineX store to talk to "Kevin" he said that they texture it from cutting your skin if you ran it acrossed the surface to just being "bumpy" but not abbrasive. He also said that if I frequently wash and take care of it that it would "soften" up slightly. and as for the the weight yes the stuff is extremly BA, tuff, and seemingly indistructable but it isn't very heavy, suprisingly. I don't know if i can make a vote but I'd like to hold a poll if that's possible to see what everyone thinks and ZZRick you're right the bottom line is that "there's only one way to find out." thanks for all the input all.

Quick Reply: PAINT VS. LINEX