Oil free winterizing

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 06:10 PM
Default Oil free winterizing

Right now, there's no fuel, no engine oil, no coolant, no fuel, and no brake fluid in my bike, and the battery is disconnected. Should I leave it how it is for the winter, or should I put all the fluids back in? My baby'll be sitting in a warm garage all winter, so I don't know if it would be better to leave it... or get the fluids back in and then start it up once a month or so throughout the winter months.

And for the curious, I just got stationed overseas, and when you ship a motorcycle overseas it has to be completely empty of all fluids.

Thanks

Old 10-12-2007, 11:07 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Oil free winterizing

I would fill the fluids again and leave it. Leaving everything dry for a long period of time will allow any seals to dry and crack. I don't start the bike at all while winterized because heating up the engine and then allowing it to cool for a long period of time will just lead to built up condensation which is bad. I leave the gas empty for safety reasons but top off the oil and coolant then put a small capful of new engine oil in each cylinder to keep the pistons and rings oiled. The brake fluid is probably not a big deal but it might not be good for the calipers being dry for so long.

Old 10-13-2007, 06:18 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Oil free winterizing

+1! Another thing you can do is spray WD40 down the Throttle Bodies to lube the cylinders with the plug coils off while rotating the engine with the starter. (make sure there is oil in the engine first. Put some fuel preservative in the gas tank also with fel in the tank; at least 1/4 tank just to prevent the hoss & seals from drying up like 05ZX6R said. Since everything is drained, fill them with new stuff or with cheap stuff and change it with fresh good stuff when you're ready to ride. Just make sure not to mix DOT 3, 4 or 5 brake fluids.