Oil coming out of breather box

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 02:36 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Oil coming out of breather box

I went riding the other night with no problems and last weekend with no problems until last night when I was about to go with a friend of mine. I saw that I was leaking oil when I started the enigne. By it being night I could see where it was coming from until today. It was coming out of the breather box at the botom seams. I'm trying to post pics but I can't seem to find the attachment button. But there is a spout on top of the engine where the breather box spout goes onto. Could anyone tell me what's going on?

Old 05-14-2010, 02:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Here are the pics:

Oil coming out of breather box-breather.jpg

Oil coming out of breather box-topofengine.jpg

Old 05-14-2010, 02:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Its a common issue actually, a quick serch should help you out, I know itsbeen posted before, cant really remember tho.

I believe it has to do with the vacuum system not setting up the pressure in the valve cover causing a splash through the breather hose, but I cant remember. If you cant find it after a search let me know and I'll try to narrow it down.

Old 05-14-2010, 03:45 AM
1st Gear Member

I've looked and I don't see anything thorough on this issue. My bike is a 1986 model year.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Anyone...?

Old 05-14-2010, 06:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Here we go

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...highlight=leak

Looks like I was close, air pressure problems causing the valve cover to vent into the airbox. Check all your hoses (I would say EGR but you dont have one do you?) and a new air filter and oil change can't hurt. Let us know how it goes, and get some pics of that classic iron up for us

Last edited by Prom; 05-14-2010 at 06:54 PM.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Prom
Here we go

Looks like I was close, air pressure problems causing the valve cover to vent into the airbox. Check all your hoses (I would say EGR but you dont have one do you?) and a new air filter and oil change can't hurt. Let us know how it goes, and get some pics of that classic iron up for us
Where would I check first? If I had an EGR, where would it be and how does it look? And it seems something is not breathing right either but I don't know where to start. We're getting somewhere but not there yet.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:57 PM
1st Gear Member

If you did, it would be on that hose you took off the breather, check your manual and the parts fiche for confirmation. Start by checking your hoses and vacuum lines for corrosion damage cracks and leaks and replace all damaged lines, old rubber tends to break. Replace your air filter, and do a oil change with a new filter and see if that fixes your problem.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Here's the hose that goes into the breather box and it's going onto something else I don't know what it is. Maybe by taking this pic it'll give y'all a good picture of what things are.

Attached Thumbnails Oil coming out of breather box-hoseonkawa.jpg  
Old 05-15-2010, 01:07 AM
1st Gear Member

It's not the best picture but is what is that at the left side of this hose? Is that the EGR?

Quick Reply: Oil coming out of breather box