oil change

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 07:09 AM
Default oil change

hey guys, i have a 93 zx6 and i am about to change the oil, what tools will i need? and what oil do you suggest.

Old 12-04-2007, 11:35 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: oil change

You'll need an oil filter wrench and what ever size wrench your oil drain plug is. Get the engine hot before changing the oil. This helps to get maximum dirty oil out. Make sure the bike is level and tilted forward just a bit if possible. (like on a rear stand)

You want to use 10W40. I prefer Golden Spectro, but any good M/C oil is good, just not car oil (duh) never never ever use car oil.

Remember to tighten your oil filter a bit more than hand tight like you would on a car, a bike tends to vibrate a little more than a car. And if you're real bright, you'll safety wire the drain plug.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:23 PM
1st Gear Member

also recommend making a little catch funnel out of aluminum foil under the oil filter to avoid making a mess.

Old 12-04-2007, 04:35 PM
1st Gear Member

u can run any car oil as long as it doesnt say energy conserving any where on the bottle on the front or back, the clutches in our bikes doesnt like this stuff bc it will make your clutch slip, rotella 5w40 is a synthectic oil thats real good, u can get the oil at walmart for 17.00 in comes in a blue jug or u can run the 15w40 regular oil they make also

Old 12-04-2007, 05:28 PM
1st Gear Member

was going to say there is barely any difference between car and motorcycle oil except for a few addatives.

Old 12-04-2007, 05:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Ryda is right and wrong, as am I. The debate is covered in about 1001 articles througout the internet and motorcycling community.
Here'sone report that backs it up Ryda's answer.www.xs11.com/stories/mcnoil94.htm

However, motorcycle oil was made with motorcycles, motorcycle clutches, rpms etc in mind and car oils are made with cars and trucks in mind. It is worth the little extra $$ for my own piece of mind.

I'm sure everyone will agree, the most important aspect of this is tochange your oil as often as recommended by the manufacturer if not more. (along with other regular maintenance) If your bikes sees the track, you should change it more often based on how many track days you do, or does your bike do double duty and all that.

Old 12-04-2007, 06:51 PM
1st Gear Member

That is a great article, will I try it....maybe

Old 12-04-2007, 07:09 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Ybslow

Ryda is right and wrong, as am I. The debate is covered in about 1001 articles througout the internet and motorcycling community.
Here'sone report that backs it up Ryda's answer.www.xs11.com/stories/mcnoil94.htm

However, motorcycle oil was made with motorcycles, motorcycle clutches, rpms etc in mind and car oils are made with cars and trucks in mind. It is worth the little extra $$ for my own piece of mind.

I'm sure everyone will agree, the most important aspect of this is tochange your oil as often as recommended by the manufacturer if not more. (along with other regular maintenance) If your bikes sees the track, you should change it more often based on how many track days you do, or does your bike do double duty and all that.

to me as long as u change your oil like u supposed to i think any oil will be fine as long as it not energy conserving, alot of the oil thats for motorcycles in general is over priced and to me the same as car oil just not with the additives but thats what u got to look for when u buy oil for a bike in general

Old 12-05-2007, 01:23 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Excellent Article! I have always used car oils in all my bikes and have never had any problems with the clutches or engine failures. Infact, I used Mobil 1 in my bike at the first oil change and really liked it. The bike ran cooler and seemed to have better power & mileage. I have almost 15K without any clutch problem. I have tried other Motorcycle specific oils such as Repsol or Motul (currently in the bike) and can't tell or feel the difference compared to Mobil 1. Maybe under Severe racing conditions the results maybe different. My take is: Use a good synthetic oil that isa well known brand such as Valvoline or Mobile 1 and change at the recommended intevals. I go longer before changing synthetic oils just because they are so much better and don't break down as quickly(as proven in the test). I like Mobil 1 and it's the only oil specifically recommended in the Corvettes. The Mega Oil companies like Mobile 1 & Valvoline have a lot of money and research that goes in their products so I'm confident it's proven and good to use in motorcycles until Proven Otherwise.

Old 12-05-2007, 01:34 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: speedracer138

Excellent Article! I have always used car oils in all my bikes and have never had any problems with the clutches or engine failures. Infact, I used Mobil 1 in my bike at the first oil change and really liked it. The bike ran cooler and seemed to have better power & mileage. I have almost 15K without any clutch problem. I have tried other Motorcycle specific oils such as Repsol or Motul (currently in the bike) and can't tell or feel the difference compared to Mobil 1. Maybe under Severe racing conditions the results maybe different. My take is: Use a good synthetic oil that isa well known brand such as Valvoline or Mobile 1 and change at the recommended intevals. I go longer before changing synthetic oils just because they are so much better and don't break down as quickly(as proven in the test). I like Mobil 1 and it's the only oil specifically recommended in the Corvettes. The Mega Oil companies like Mobile 1 & Valvoline have a lot of money and research that goes in their products so I'm confident it's proven and good to use in motorcycles until Proven Otherwise.
Damn Speed, buckin' for some sponsorship?