oil?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 06:06 AM
1st Gear Member
Default oil?

i know this has been asked before but i have a little more rank over a noob the way i see it. ill use up one of those points on this question

anywho, i need to change my oil but dont want to use kawi syn cuz last time i had the stealership change the oil i though i fried my head gaskit cuz the oil was green (broken headgaskit lets coolant into the oil= green, greenish oil) what kind of company in thier right mind makes green oil, i know, i know kawi green but still WTF?

so my question is can i just use mobile1 1040 synthetic like i use in the vehicals or is there a special blend for the high revving 4's? i kind of dont want to spend 90$ on just oil (repsol) if i dont have to but if there is no way around it i wont complain.

thanks for the help in advance

Old 03-26-2007, 10:08 AM
Default RE: oil?

some oils have a green tint to them, I forgot which brand but someone in the other kawi forum posted a topic concerning the greenish color in the sight glass. if the oil mixed with the coolant the result will be a chocolate mousse type substance.

Old 03-26-2007, 10:11 AM
1st Gear Member

I've heard of many people going with automotive grade synthetics with no problems at all. But, after reading the test results of AMSOIL, I think that may be my next oil.

Old 03-27-2007, 01:20 AM
1st Gear Member

I use Mobil1 MX4T fully synthetic oil. I only use oil designed for motorcycles, it's an ongoing debate so use whatever you want to.

It's now known as just Racing 4T, here is a link: http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...4T_10W-40.aspx

Amsoil is also very good oil. I perfer there gear oils but not so much for there engine oil.

Old 03-27-2007, 01:32 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I like the new signature................what was the question again?[8D]

Old 03-27-2007, 08:39 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sup_uni

i know this has been asked before but i have a little more rank over a noob the way i see it. ill use up one of those points on this question

anywho, i need to change my oil but dont want to use kawi syn cuz last time i had the stealership change the oil i though i fried my head gaskit cuz the oil was green (broken headgaskit lets coolant into the oil= green, greenish oil) what kind of company in thier right mind makes green oil, i know, i know kawi green but still WTF?

so my question is can i just use mobile1 1040 synthetic like i use in the vehicals or is there a special blend for the high revving 4's? i kind of dont want to spend 90$ on just oil (repsol) if i dont have to but if there is no way around it i wont complain.

thanks for the help in advance
Are you serious about the head gasket? I doubt the head gasket failed because of the oil. There was a recall/ service bulletin about one of the radiator hose clamps being loose and causing leaks/ overheating which could cause a head gasket to fail but not the oil.

As far as Car Oils; I have used Mobil & Valvoline Synthetic in my bike with no problems with my clutch. I don't know what effect it would have under racing conditions but motorcycle specific oils have special additives for the wet clutch.

Old 03-27-2007, 09:22 AM
1st Gear Member

i just put 4T in minea few miles ago. had 3500 on the odometer. seems to run cooler and smoother. shifting seems a tad bit nicer. nothing earth shattering. warmer weather will be a good test.
i didnt spend $90. here ya go...$8 a quart. http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...em=TUC_53-3101
i dont remember how much i paid but it wasnt more than $10 a quart and mine had the blue "Racing 4T" label on it. mobil's site says it is same stuff. "Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 was previously known as Mobil 1 MX4T 10W-40".

just do it!

Old 03-27-2007, 05:20 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I switched to full synthetic oil after 2000 miles, its supposed to be the best out there at $10.00 a quart. Amsoil 20-50 full synthetic

Old 03-27-2007, 06:27 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: speedracer138

Are you serious about the head gasket? I doubt the head gasket failed because of the oil. There was a recall/ service bulletin about one of the radiator hose clamps being loose and causing leaks/ overheating which could cause a head gasket to fail but not the oil.

As far as Car Oils; I have used Mobil & Valvoline Synthetic in my bike with no problems with my clutch. I don't know what effect it would have under racing conditions but motorcycle specific oils have special additives for the wet clutch.
no, when a head gaskit goes an indication that is is shot is by having coolant in the oil, there is coolant in the sleeves around the cylinders so if the gaskit goes than coolant CAN slip into the oil. neither the coolant nor the oil make it go they are juts normally what to look for after

Old 03-28-2007, 07:12 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

$10/quart? I am getting ripped

Quick Reply: oil?