oem clip-on raising is possible on 06 636

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 10:27 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: oem clip-on raising is possible on 06 636

ORIGINAL: Dragone#19

Portland,,, I have not looked at the OMRRA schedule since I do not ride that one anymore. But to stay on topic, do you have shims on the shock linkage to take out and drop the rear? I am not that familiar with the 6r
it seems to be two link plates that are used to lower the 6r. its funny though, the plates look to be about 6 inches long with one hole at one end, and three at the other (one hole for stock, second for 1.25" drop and a third for 2.5"drop.) looks like i've gotta make plates with a hole between where the first and second holes would be. i think i might even have enough 1/4" ss bar stock for 'em out in the shed!

Old 02-02-2008, 10:42 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

If the rear shock uses a shim, pull that and reset your preload since both front and rear sags will be altered due to the change. as mentioned, not sure that the 6r uses a shim.

Old 02-03-2008, 01:18 AM
1st Gear Member

that looks freaking awsome man i might have to try that next winter after i get a good review from you lol

Old 02-03-2008, 01:23 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

you need this to get it dialed in

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Soupy...spagenameZWDVW

Old 02-03-2008, 02:59 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sup_uni

that looks freaking awsome man i might have to try that next winter after i get a good review from you lol
thanks! just sitting on the bike, i can fell a substantial difference. yay!

and evil-
those links are really cool, but i think i'm gonna make a set. they will be lighter and all ss. hopefully i can just get the length right!?! just looking at photos(the links that go from stock, 1.25 and 2.5)... lets say the bolt is a ten mm... the holes are prob. 11mm on center. so i need to create a new link with a hole 5.5 mm longer/shorter than stock. haven't even taken a look to see if it would need to be longer or shorter.

heres links like i'm talking about--

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...ock8/66102.jpg

Old 02-03-2008, 04:29 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

yep, those are easy to make, if you have some extra stock laying around you can make a sweet template to go off of before you hit up the stainless. to bad your not in CA, i got a full fab shop right here.

Old 02-03-2008, 05:22 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Evil, you need to just start making them. All that lowering of the front & rear will cause a loss of ground clearance. Usually just a 5mm drop makes a BIG difference and .625 inches is HUGE!I was looking at a pair of CBR929/ 954 Clip-Ons and they look like they will work even being mounted below the triples but raise the bar height by a couple of inches.

Old 02-03-2008, 03:15 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: speedracer138

Evil, you need to just start making them. All that lowering of the front & rear will cause a loss of ground clearance. Usually just a 5mm drop makes a BIG difference and .625 inches is HUGE!I was looking at a pair of CBR929/ 954 Clip-Ons and they look like they will work even being mounted below the triples but raise the bar height by a couple of inches.
i really have no idea how much is HUGE as far as dropping a bike. the only thing that confuses me is if .625 is so huge why are all the aftermarket links start with 1.25 for lowering? i've never spent anytime on the track, and have never scraped my pegs or brake pedal through a corner, however i do scrape my toes quite often. (probably lack of riding technique) i just cannot get comfortable on the ball of my feet while dropping my knee into a corner. i'm WAY more comfy on my arches.

i wish it was warmer here... i'd give it a test ride today. the other night i was out while it was below freezing. yea, not fun. when i downshifted with any guster at all, the *** end would come loose and weave back and forth. then i accidentally did my first rolling burnout... i was trying to do a (wussy) roll-on wheelie. i throttled up to about 6 or 7k, let off and hit it again... at first i thought the clutch wasn't grabbing. shortly thereafter i realized the rear was freespooling under me! Scary! moral of the story... it's scary to ride when it's 30 degrees out! sorry... totally off topic.

Old 02-04-2008, 03:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Was there any issue of the clearance between your brake resivor and the windsheild fairing?

Old 02-04-2008, 11:56 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Ratkiller

Was there any issue of the clearance between your brake resivor and the windsheild fairing?
yea, but i stacked washers between the mirror mounts and the fairing. this flexes it upward just enough. now my throttle cables just barely touch my fairing at full turn. crazy enough, the resivour tucks within the (oem) windscreen bubble just perfectly.

Quick Reply: oem clip-on raising is possible on 06 636