Ninja Newbie- Chronicles of a Track slut reborn

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 08:13 PM
Default Ninja Newbie- Chronicles of a Track **** reborn

First of all hello, I am now the proud owner of a 1995 zx-6rF. My previous bike (sold a few weeks ago) was a 2005 Honda CBR 600 F4i. I LOVED that bike, but due to bills and family (2 young kids) I had to downsize.

After searching for a while I found an old beater Ninja for sale on craigslist for the asking price of $1000 claiming small issues. I drove out and picked the bike up for $800 and didn't look back.

I got the bike home and started to tear it down to get a good look at everything. The previous owner handed me a handfull of reciepts for a total of about $2000 in work recently done to the bike including

Carbs rebuilt and balance
New head Gasket
Rebuilt the tranny
Fork seals
New sprockets
Muzzy exhaust
Rings
clutch....

The list went on. But the bike wouldn't stay running for long after the work was done. The battery kept dying and the bike would stall out. He would recharge the battery and then it would ride fine then after about 15-20 minutes it would die..

I got it home and first thing I noticed is it was empty of fuel, so I put some gas in it and it started right up... I drove it around and it drove fine.. I am charging the battery now and am shopping for a strator on ebay... I hope that is all the problem is.. Other then that the bike need a paintjob something terrible... It is really ugly and was only used as a track bike up until 2006. She has 43,000 miles and has been ridden very hard and put up wet.. Should be a fun project. I will post up shots as I progress and paint should be on it soon... I attached a picture of teh bike and the potential paint color.. Glad I stumbled onto this site...

Old 06-05-2007, 08:26 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Ninja Newbie- Chronicles of a Track **** reborn

Cool bro and welcome to the forum. Have fun with the new project.

Old 06-05-2007, 10:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Sounds like you need a new alternator/magneto since it's probably not charging the battery. Either way, it looks like a great deal.

Old 06-05-2007, 11:29 PM
1st Gear Member

that bike would look sweet in that color... you should paint it blue... I hear blue is the fastest color of kawi bikes... glad mine's blue...

Old 06-06-2007, 12:15 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: afboundguy

that bike would look sweet in that color... you should paint it blue... I hear blue is the fastest color of kawi bikes... glad mine's blue...
True Blue too

Welcome to KF I bought 95 zx7 and fixed it up to be a great track bike. Good luck with the project.

Old 06-06-2007, 01:56 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Welcome. Get a manual; souds like you may need it. Check if there are wiresfrom the alternator. Actually take the cover off and check.It may be missing altogether. A lot of racers remove them for weight. If its installed, check for voltage output. If you have voltage present (13-14 volts) then it may be the regulator/ rectifier.

Old 06-06-2007, 04:00 AM
1st Gear Member

i would almost bet on the reg/rec i had the same probelm on my 95 zx6r! with that in mind very best of luck man, and i know you will enjoy it here, best bunch of kawi guys and girls (sorry about that)anywhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

have fun and keep the tires down

Old 06-06-2007, 12:19 PM

I have the Haynes manual, it seems to be pretty decent.. Is there a better manual out there (besides the stealerships FSM?)

I checked the Strator and it is in there, I am goign to test it tonight and see what it is doing. All the grounds and what not were very loose and the battery connections were not tight. So I put the battery on a trickle charge and Am going to see what happens... Anyways I sanded the fairings and shot them with a quick shot of matte black paint so the neigbors don't complain about the eyesore the bike was..lol..

[IMG]local://upfiles/5837/6A326AE1CC8F4EF2A3BB0631493F0DB5.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/5837/09A00D982BFD494D9126CE80BA3DA380.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/5837/56B3DA7983F6434399CF7BD7E6D7182A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-06-2007, 01:43 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

All those loose connections would definitely prevent the battery from charging. Just make sure the connections are clean and tight. You may have solved your problem already. Good luck.

Amazing what a decent spray can paintjob can do for a bike. Looks good already.

Old 06-06-2007, 04:38 PM

After sanding on the plastics I realized that there is no way I can try to put a "nice" paintjob on this fairing set.. They are way to rough. So I have decided to paint the bike with "chalkboard" paint so my kids can draw on it whenever they feel like it.. Should be cool. One day I will buy new fairings and give it a paintjob worth having, but in the condition it is in I think this will be a cool alternative.

Quick Reply: Ninja Newbie- Chronicles of a Track slut reborn