New to forums a ? about my ZX-6r

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 07:56 PM
Default New to forums a ? about my ZX-6r

Sup everyone Im new here so I just had a question to ask havn't bothered searching cause Im still in chemistry class so sry if this annoys you. anyways my FI light came on I asked a friend what it could be he told me that could be caused by a plethora of things. he recomended trying to put fuel injector cleaner and fill up and drive till the tank is gone and see if that turns it off. I did that and still nothing. however I am conviced and this might sound super strange to everyone but here goes. I think I have ants in my airbox. everyday when I ride I notice ants while Im riding (not when I first start up). ill be on the freeway and they crawl on the windsheild or from around my gas tank. the bick seems a little sluggish now. if its not that I would love to know what I could do to fix it cause the light anoys the hell out of me. this is my first kawi I had a yzf600 and HATE with a passion yamahas. and I am also glad I listened to my cousin and friend and bought a ninja over a CBR even though I kinda like the hondas. anywho any help would be greatly appreciated. thx

Old 12-04-2008, 08:17 PM
1st Gear Member

I know its the obvious and easy thing to do ,but just pull your tank off or to the side and pull your air filter. You will be able to see if there are any dead ants on it or live ones for that matter. Try to pay attention to what side they may or may not be on. Might be getting in through the ram air or a crack in the tube in front of your bars.

Old 12-04-2008, 11:38 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

True, ants crawling on your bike at anytime is just wrong!!! lol Ya need to fix that issue.

Welcome to KF

Old 12-05-2008, 12:40 AM

lol ya I know it sounds crazy my biker friends laugh but its the truth. Im gonna check it tomorrow cause Im gonna put a K&N filter on it tomorrow. hopefully that solves it maybe they are getting in through the ram air not sure? but I want them gone everytime I go out and think of the little F@LKers violating my baby it angers me...lol and yes its a she...lol thx for the help tho I will definately check that.

Old 12-05-2008, 03:14 AM
1st Gear Member

never heard of ants being a problem lol maybe if you had an entire colony clogging up the air cleaner but still dont think that would toss a check engine like.

the serch fucntion will reveal that the most common cause of the FI light is a slip on with the butterfly valve not replaced or the servo not fixed.

of just as obvious a clogged or broken injector

Old 12-05-2008, 01:54 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

dude ninjas are so sweet that ants and bees just can't help it...LOL

Old 12-05-2008, 04:28 PM

well I did get the bike with a muzzy's slip on put on. as for clogged or broken injector how would I check that? I used a injector cleaner and it did nothing. also I forgot to mention up there since its cold here in Fl now early mornings its off I can ride for a few miles but when the temp gets to around 170 the light turns back on. I doubt I would have a broken injector but its a possibility I am not going to throw out. thx a lot uni today Im gonna tinker w/ her and see what I find.

Old 12-05-2008, 06:26 PM
1st Gear Member

if it is running ok and not smelling like gas then your injectores are prolly ok, first step look under the seat and snap a pic, i will tell you if everything is ok with the servo

Old 12-05-2008, 07:23 PM

when you say smell of gas what are you refering too? sometimes I do smell gas but its really really faint. like if Im at a light in N and I rest up on the tank I can smell some gas sometimes but not always. I will work on gettin a pic right now I just lubed my chain up.

Old 12-05-2008, 08:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah dude when you rest on the tank you are pushing out air , especially when it is almost empty. When you set still in the sun you can hear it whistling. It is normal at least for every bike I've owned. Yeah make sure the butterfly on the servo motor under your seat is snug and moving from stop to stop when you start it. It should have that piece on it that replaces the original cable pulley system from the stock exhaust.

Quick Reply: New to forums a ? about my ZX-6r