new bie with muzzy efi question

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 06:45 PM
Default new bie with muzzy efi question

new bie here -- well not really, I've been getting tips and insightfrom this sightsince I first bought my 636r in august . I don't want to say that i joined simply because I need some help -- but I'd be lying if I didn't.

Anyway, I recently purchased a muzzy exhaust stainless w/ anodized tail.

I am having mental difficulty installing the efi -- specifically I'd simply love to see a photo of it installed. i checked the muzzy site and no such photo

Also, now that i am installing a slip on, power commander III, and K&N should I undo the wire hopp that keeps exhaust valve open?

Old 01-07-2007, 07:07 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: new bie with muzzy efi question

should I undo the wire hoop that keeps exhaust valve open?
Don't undo the wire that controls that valve. Your FI light will go on, and your MPG will go in the toilet. That valve controls the back pressure for the engine. Without it your MGP, and HP will suffer. The exhaust should come with a doodad that is supposed to do something to the valve. I don't have one, so I really can't say what.

Old 01-07-2007, 08:15 PM
1st Gear Member

When you remove your stock muffler the valve is attached to it. So it will have to come off. Your pipe should come with a little metal stop that bolts to the servo motor under the seat. It basically makes the computer think that it is still opening and closing the valve. Check your box that your pipe came in for the stop. its really straight forward once you start digging in to it. I will try to take a pic of mine later

Old 01-07-2007, 08:52 PM
1st Gear Member

here is the pic of my stop

[IMG]local://upfiles/2817/9F49BC4E25E545089766C4C11F5F1C13.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-08-2007, 02:38 AM

Thanks for the pic -- its true a picture can show alot. I was trying to figure out exactly what had to be removed cables yes, round stock pulley yes.

Any word on wether or not I should disconect the wire hop that I read about on this site -- now that I have upgraded exhaust.

again thanks

Old 01-08-2007, 02:55 AM

oh, with the servo stopper/eliminator, it can get a bit tricky if you remove the stock pulley/cables and then try to fire the bike up.. the shaft that holds the pulley can move out of position

if this happens, as was the case with me, just open the key and close it (on/off position) until the shaft rotates to the desired position you might have to tinker with it...

The servo stopper/eliminator should move freely between the two pivot points... and NOT get stuck, if that happens, it mightstrip the gears and you will have a permanent Fi light on our bike....

if the Filight is on, it should turn off after a fewminutes with theservo stopper on correctly

-R

Old 01-08-2007, 02:56 AM

here are the 2 pivot points highlighted... (gs247's picture)

[IMG]local://upfiles/3644/95CAACE0ADCD4AF08D6BD169B8C9F2E3.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-08-2007, 03:44 AM
1st Gear Member

I had heard that disconnecting the servo would cut the MPG by as much as a third, and will hurt your HP output. Is there any truth to this?

Old 01-08-2007, 06:09 AM

i would think that the set up would be the same as eliviating a cars' backpressure by installing a free flowing exhaust/ or removing the cat. convertors + installing a free flowing mufflers...

anyway, when i installed that stuff (headers/h pipe/flows) on my EFI 5.0Lmustang, MPG improved to 24mpg freeway...

i would assume the same is true for high performance machines such as our bikes....

Old 01-08-2007, 08:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Yes your mpg will drop. If you install a power commander and have your bike customed mapped you will gain some hp.

Quick Reply: new bie with muzzy efi question