Need Some Advice on a Bike

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 08:04 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Need Some Advice on a Bike

Get a zzr 600, the 2005s and up are zx6r's from a few years ago, and the insurance is much cheaper.

Old 10-25-2007, 01:52 AM
1st Gear Member

I would suggest that you get something that you won't mind f'ing up. My first bike I abused it, and it abused me.

Old 10-25-2007, 04:16 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Unreal

I wouldn't start on a zx6r if you value your life. If your parents value it they wouldn't let you buy a 6r as a first bike. If they let you I would be more concerned that my parents want me to die then who is paying for insurance.

well I can assure you that my parents do not want me to die and its absurd to suggest such an idea. I'm sure you did not mean it in that way, however, i don't like the way it sounded.

And this is the part where I kind of get confused. Many people say that the zx is an ok bike to start out with if you respect the power and many others say that the 250/500 is the way to go.

So im thinking that ultimately it just depends on the rider and you should go with what you feel comfortable with.

and in reference to the zzr, that bike did catch my eye when i was looking at the kawasaki's. My only concern is the resale value of the bike. I went on ebay to look for the bike and i barely found any results for it. Also, many of the dealerships in my area dont have too many used zzr's.

Has anyone ridden both, the zzr and the zx? And if you have, what were the major differences between the bikes?

Old 10-25-2007, 07:10 PM
1st Gear Member

A ZX is in no way a good starter bike.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:58 PM

I started on a beater 2000 cbr f4...rode it for like 2 months. It was a friends. I then purchased my zx6r and it's been wrecked so it was cheap...I've also dumped it twice since I've had it but that's why i bought a cheap bike not a 10k bike. It's like this...You buy a 1200 dollar bike and you drop it you're ego is hurt and possibly some scrapes. You buy a 9,000 dollar bike and drop it...not only are you hurt ego and body, but your new baby is cracked and scratched and broken. I'm not saying I'm a horrible rider and I'm not assuming you are...just know that one time or another you'll probably drop it or lay it over...or in my case a co-worker tried to move it and dropped it....so...just look at that also

Old 10-25-2007, 10:34 PM
1st Gear Member

There is no difference between the 2001 zx and the new zzr's. The newer zx's are fuel injected and have more goodies on them. Yes I have ridden both.

Old 10-25-2007, 10:59 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Unreal

I wouldn't start on a zx6r if you value your life. If your parents value it they wouldn't let you buy a 6r as a first bike. If they let you I would be more concerned that my parents want me to die then who is paying for insurance.
I really doubt unreal meant anything offensive,there are allot of things to consider when buying a first bike. (as your finding out). my take is that you should buy a bike that you are comfortable with, and that you are notafraid to scratch up. It Will happen. everyone has to learn their limits and usually bad things happen as your find your limits. Weall havebeen there.We do wantyou live through it. I'm not a mole(anymore) but the dirt is the best place to learn. Not saying you can't learn on the street. Be smart, get the equipment and don't cripple or kill yourself, whatever your decision is.

Ride Safe

Old 10-26-2007, 04:34 AM
1st Gear Member

the newer 600's are real touchy on throttle and arent too forgiving. start out with a 250. youll get much more confident and become a better rider quicker.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:17 PM
1st Gear Member

i was really gung-ho about starting on a 600 before i bought my first bike, ended up buying a 250 and it's been real smooth learning, u don't want to develop bad habits or fear the bike in any way, u should feel in complete control. also think about if you are in an emergency situation and have to quickly avoid an obsticle, would u feel comfortable enough on a sharp handling, power hungry bike? would your immediate instincts know how to control it easier than a 250? that's what you should be thinking about

Old 10-26-2007, 10:03 PM
1st Gear Member

well guys, i am about to go to the bike store and make a final decision.Before I go I would just like to thank everyone who put the time in to respond to me and provide me with their insight on the matter.

I will be sure to let you guys know what I decided to get.

Sothanks again!

-RR

Quick Reply: Need Some Advice on a Bike