Need Some Advice on a Bike

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 11:47 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Need Some Advice on a Bike

I have never owned a bike before, but I am interested in buying one. I noticed that since it is the end of the year and all the 08 models are coming out, brand new 07's are dropping in price. I can get a pretty good deal on a new 07 Ninja Zx 6r, but I just wanted some advice if that could be a possible good first bike. I understand that the new 08 Ninja 250 is coming out, and everyone says that its a great starter bike, but I fear that my parents won't allow me to get a larger cc after the first bike is purchased. See the whole story is that I'm 18 and I have been saving up money for a bike and my parents at first did not let me get one, butwe made a deal that if I could raise up the money they would allow me to get one and pay for insurance. The problem is thatifI get the 250, I will have to also pay for the insurance, which will consume the money I saved up and I won't be able to make more money since I am attending college right now. And just to giveyou guys a little info on me, I have been drivingsince the age of 13 (I understand that a car is different from a bike) and am responsible on the road.Thanks if you guys take the time to read this. Please let me know what you think

Old 10-23-2007, 11:54 PM
Default RE: Need Some Advice on a Bike

Nothing wrong with a zx-6r as a starter bike if you want something that you will grow into and keep longer term.A 250R is a great starter bike but nothing else, in my opinion. You could also save money vs. the zx-6R with a 500R or 650R which are also excellent starter bikes.

Old 10-24-2007, 12:15 AM
1st Gear Member

I started on my 06 636. But I recomend taking the MSF course if they have one in your area.

Old 10-24-2007, 12:29 AM
1st Gear Member

Being a young fella and not very experienced on 2 wheels i would suggest looking at 00-02 year ninja or 03-04 636. my first bike was an 02 6r and it definetly was the right choice. if you respect the power the bike has and dont drive crazy i think youd be ok on it. so many ppl outgrow the 250's within 6 months to a year.

Old 10-24-2007, 03:18 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Personally, I think the newer 600's/ 636's are too much for a starter bike. Even though you know how to drive a car, a bike is a whole lot different. You have to have a lot of discipline on a bike or you'll be eating asphalt. A 250 (especially the new 08 250R) will be an excellent starter bike and will teach you a lot more riding skills than a 600 will. As they say"You must first learn to walk before you can run". With a 250 as a starter, you will learn "To walk" and more. It's an easier bike to learnhot to lean, traction, power application in a turn etc. Then when you're ready to upgrade, you will be a better skilled and more confident rider. Heck, I started on a 50cc 2 stroke streetbike (82 Honda MB-5)and learned almost all of my riding & racing skills on it. I had a 450 also but the MB-5 was way more fun to learn on. I used to smoke 450 hawks & even bigger bikes in the twisty California Berkeley/ OaklandHills (Grizzly Peak, Tilden Park, Skyline Blvd).

Plus, have you seen the new 08 250R?!!! It looks awesome. I might just buy one to play with & teach my son to ride/ race.

Old 10-24-2007, 03:46 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

See the whole story is that I'm 18 and I have been saving up money for a bike and my parents at first did not let me get one, butwe made a deal that if I could raise up the money they would allow me to get one and pay for insurance. The problem is thatifI get the 250, I will have to also pay for the insurance, which will consume the money I saved up and I won't be able to make more money since I am attending college right now.
I don't get it. A catch 22 theory?

Old 10-24-2007, 05:23 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

A 600 will be a whole lot more expensive on insurance especially for an 18 yr old new rider; especially if you finance the bike. They require you to have full coverage and that will cost about half the price of the bike per year! Better check the rates before you take the plunge.

Old 10-24-2007, 12:33 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dragone#19

I don't get it. A catch 22 theory?

Allow me to clear things up. Ok, the first alternative is that:

If I decide to buy the 600, my parents understand that it will be a whole lot more expensive for me, so they said they would pay for insurance and I would pay for the bike.

The other choice is that if I decide to buy the 250, I will have to pay for both the bike and the insurance (since the bike is much cheaper).

And thank you to everyone for the responses so far, I really appreciate it.

Old 10-24-2007, 12:42 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: speedracer138
Plus, have you seen the new 08 250R?!!! It looks awesome. I might just buy one to play with & teach my son to ride/ race.
Just pics and it looks sick. Adam I talked to a local Kawi dealer and he said the release date on the new250 is not until Janurary. He said they might have some in Feburary.

Old 10-24-2007, 05:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Have your parents seen insurance rates before agreeing? They can easily be $3k+ per year for someone your age.

I wouldn't start on a zx6r if you value your life. If your parents value it they wouldn't let you buy a 6r as a first bike. If they let you I would be more concerned that my parents want me to die then who is paying for insurance.

Also remember you will probably need $500-1200 in gear to get going, so figure that in when bike shopping. Get a used 250 or 500 and ride it for 2 years or so while you save up for what you really want. When you learn to ride and ride other bikes you may find you don't want a SS style bike, or 6r. Riding a SS on the street is a pain in the *** (literally and not). For street riding I will only have a bike with real handle bars and some sort of comfort.

Quick Reply: Need Some Advice on a Bike