need help installing frame sliders

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 12:41 AM
1st Gear Member
Default need help installing frame sliders

so this is the bolt I'm trying to take out to install a frame slider, this is the one that gets taken out right?

Name:  DSCF0055.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  38.2 KB

it's hard to see from the pic but the bolt was starting to get stripped because I can't find the right ****ingsize allen wrench, a 6 was to small and a 7 was to big, i tried SAE just to make sure and those didn't work either, can anyone help?

Old 04-07-2007, 12:52 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: need help installing frame sliders

Don't stirp it out you will be screwed. And yes that is the right bolt you need to mount it too.

Old 04-07-2007, 01:11 AM
1st Gear Member

6.5 should do the trick if 6 and 7 didn't =)... Don't forget some lock tight. I used the kind that isn't permanent and good thing to because my vortex bolt snapped after someone backed in to my bike and my frame slider did it's job. Good hour or two drilling that bastard out. All is well now that just gotta get a new bolt to put it back together. Forgot the exact name but the blue stuff is what you'll want to use that's what I did.

Old 04-07-2007, 01:20 AM
1st Gear Member

The locktight blue is medium grade. Red is the heavy grade

Old 04-07-2007, 01:42 AM
1st Gear Member

i don't know if they make a 6.5 because i bought a complete Husky set and there is a 5.5 but no 6.5, i guess it's trip number 3 to the home depot today to see if they got one, also what is this locktight stuff? do you apply it to the new bolt threading before you screw it back into the frame or something?

Old 04-07-2007, 02:09 AM
1st Gear Member

it's looking like it was the 6, i just had tap it in a little to get a good fit, either way the bolt does not want to budge at all, i think the wrench will snap before the bolt loosens and what i thought was going to be an easy job suddenly isn't, anyone have any help on what to do now?

Old 04-07-2007, 02:28 AM
1st Gear Member

put the locktight on the bolt. Get an allen head sockket and you a rachet it will be easier. Still a pain in the a$$

Old 04-07-2007, 03:53 AM
1st Gear Member

my bike is now ****ed, i got the right one on fine but once it came to the left i tightened it down so hard the bolt snapped and now the nut can't come off because it's being held on by the broken piece of bolt. any ideas? anyone?

Old 04-07-2007, 08:36 AM
1st Gear Member

http://www.brokentap.com/easy-outs.html

you can get something like this at home depot. worked on all my snapped off bolts on my dirtbike. ya gotta buy a good torque wrench or use lock tight.

Old 04-07-2007, 10:17 AM
1st Gear Member

My bolt broke off when my bike got knocked over by a truck in the parking lot at my work. Broken off bolts are always a nightmare for a mechanic but certainally not the end of the world. I am no pro so take what I say with a grain of salt and please understand my way is pretty much a ghetto fix and not a guaranteed fix and could possibly make it worse, with that said this is what I ended up doing and it worked for me.

Get a drill and drill out a small hole atleast half the size of the bolt smaller if possible. Remember start as small as possible when drilling out the hole because if it doesn't work you can always just drill it out bigger. Make sure you drill the hole as dead center as possible. Once you have a small hole I like to use star head screw drivers but even a phillips head will work if your lucky. Once I had a hole drilled out I then took the star headed screw driver and a hammer and just hammered that into the hole as deep in as possible. Then I simply turned the bolt out like you would normally. With a little luck and alot of patience.... ALOT of patience I was able to get mine out. Don't rush when you do it because you only get so many trieswhen doing this. Eventually you run out of metal to work with. Then again if you can drill dead on center you can just drill almost all the metal out but I've never gotten that lucky. I just get a hole going that I can hammer a screw driver into (make sure that hole is a bit smaller than the screw driver then hammer it in the rest of the way to get it to fit so it has something to bite onto.

Hope this helps. I'd imagine someone else can give you a better, less risky way of doing this though. Like I said I do that as a last resort as it's risky. You run the risk of making things worse. If you drill of center you could even start drilling into the threads on accident then you've got a huge mess that involves ALOT more work so just be careful, use some common sense, take your time, and remember patience is key otherwise you end up getting frustrated and sticking TNT in your tailpipe and blowing up your bike =P... Good luck.

Quick Reply: need help installing frame sliders